Osteochondrosis is a common occurrence among the population of developed countries. Today, this disease begins to manifest itself at an earlier age than, for example, 15 years ago. The disease can affect any joint, but most often it affects the human spine. One of the treatment methods in this case is exercises for the lumbar spine, as well as its cervicothoracic region.
Exercises for osteochondrosis to this day remain one of the simplest and safest methods of therapy.
Why is gymnastics useful?
Osteochondrosis is a lesion of the cartilage of the joint. With age, the nutrition of the cartilage of the joint worsens. This, combined with the lack of a sufficient amount of necessary elements in the diet, leads to premature cartilage dystrophy, its mineralization, and, in general, to destruction.
A slight atrophy of the cartilage tissue already affects our well-being and is called osteochondrosis. The most dangerous osteochondrosis is localized in the spine. The spinal cord passes through the spinal column, due to which a nervous connection is made between the head and the rest of the human body.
The destruction of the cartilage tissue affects the safety of the nerve roots, which can be pinched - as a result, the person ceases to feel fingers, hands, feet, experiences pains that extend to the leg, sacrum and other parts of the body.
Osteochondrosis can affect other parts of the body - wherever there are joints, this disease can occur. In older people, it can be localized in the shoulder, forearm, ankle, hip. As a result, the mobility of the joint is severely limited, the arm or leg does not move or moves very poorly due to pain.
It is strange that moving with osteochondrosis is painful, but it is the movement in these situations that helps out. Movement is one of the foundations for treating cartilage problems. Together with the abundant intake of chondroitin and glucosamine, the complex of exercises for osteochondrosis copes with its task.
It should be remembered that any joint is a static structure; it itself will not come into motion. And her muscles move. And the muscles also keep it in a stable state. Weak muscles are not able to maintain the joint in optimal position. As a result, he "breaks" ahead of schedule.
Of particular importance is the strengthening of the muscles of the spine.
Exercise gymnastics is relevant for a specific area of the spine, but with one amendment. If the lower back hurts, you should perform not only exercises for the lumbar sacral spine, but also for the rest of the departments. This is important to do in order to prevent osteochondrosis of the neck, for example. After all, if the lower back has suffered, it means that muscle tone in its area is insufficient. This suggests that the muscles are weak in other places.
If the neck hurts, then gymnastics helps with osteochondrosis of the cervicothoracic spine. By the way, she helps out not only in case of illness, but also before the onset of pain. Try and see for yourself: periodically kneading even a healthy neck is not only useful, but also enjoyable.
Gymnastics for different parts of the spine
In exercise therapy, there are a lot of different exercises for osteochondrosis of the spine, there is simply no way to bring them all here, so these are the simplest and most relevant options.
I draw your attention to the fact that during acute pains, there is no need to give a load. It will only make it worse. An exception, if the movement does not bring you sharp pains - then you can work out.
The key to success is to give classes the proper amount of time, not to rush, to do everything regularly. Then treatment will help save you from chondrosis.
Exercise for the spine is a charge that you need to do in the first stages of your physical “career”.
Gymnastics with cervicothoracic osteochondrosis can be represented as a single complex, but I specially divided it into departments to make it easier and clearer.
Let's start from the very top, the bridge connecting the body and head. This is the neck. Her health is the key to our well-being.
Cervico-thoracic osteochondrosis may be interconnected. For example, when the problem is at the level of the first cervical vertebra, the joint between it and the last thoracic one suffers. In addition, osteochondrosis rarely affects only one joint.
Gymnastics for osteochondrosis of the cervicothoracic spine should ideally be used not only to state the disease, but also for prevention, even before it begins.
It is carried out sitting: at home, in the hall, at work or even in transport. In the latter case, consider shaking while driving, the roads are not always smooth.
- Gently and slowly turn your head clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Use your hands to tilt your head to the right shoulder and left (exercise with stretching elements).
- Grasp your head with your hands and try to push your head in all 4 directions, overcoming the resistance of the hands. The task is to feel the resistance and overcome it, straining the muscles, and not to bend the neck.
- With your hands, knead the back of the neck from the back of the head to the shoulders in the muscles with circular, pressing movements.
Repeat each exercise 5-10 times at a slow pace. If you experience pain - stop performing.
Some exercises for cervical and thoracic osteochondrosis are similar. Let's start with them.
- Sitting straight, raise your shoulders, lower them back. With this movement, we strengthen the trapezius muscle - its top forms the back of the bottom of the neck, and the bottom is located near the shoulder blades.
- Bring your shoulders together. Make this movement 10 times forward and backward.
- Raise one shoulder first, lower it. Now raise your second shoulder. Lower it.
- Raise one shoulder first, then the other. Lower your shoulders in reverse.
- Roundabouts with shoulders - slowly do 10 circles clockwise and against it.
- Fix the knees and pelvis, turn around the axis of the lower back, twisting in the thoracic region to a maximum in one direction and in the other.
Gymnastics with breast osteochondrosis, as with any other, is done slowly. Any sudden careless movement can aggravate the situation.
Exercises for the lumbosacral spine also need to be done after pain relief.
With the lower back, it’s more and more difficult; you can’t do exercises to strengthen the lumbar spine on the chair. Unless in the chair you can bend, forming a natural deflection in the lower back, and in general to work out the correct posture.
Before doing exercises to strengthen the muscles of the lower back and other exercises for the back with osteochondrosis, stand on the scales and look in the mirror.
If the number on the scales is greater than your height (in cm) minus 100 and plus 10, most likely you should think about reducing weight. After all, every extra kilogram is an additional burden on the spine. A large belly shifts the center of gravity of the body: it pulls the lower back forward more than it should. Often, osteochondrosis of the lower back in people not associated with professional sports occurs precisely because of the voluminous abdomen. Performing exercises for lumbar osteochondrosis, at the same time, you should take care to tighten the figure and return the center of gravity to normal.
To combat back pain, you will need to work out the lower back and abs. This is done at the initial level at home, lying on the rug. Then you can already go to the fitness room.
The simplest exercises for osteochondrosis of the lumbar:
- Download the press, lying on the rug - arms crossed on his chest, feet are on the floor. We raise our head slightly from the floor, the lower back is pressed, the back is rounded in the chest section. We do 15 times.
- We lie on our back, straighten our legs, put our hands behind our heads or lower them along our torso. From this position, we raise our legs one by one. Repeat the movement of each leg 15 times.
- We turn over on our stomach, stretch our arms forward. From this position we raise the upper part of the body, without throwing our head back. If there is strength, we raise our legs. The exercise is called a boat. In fact, this is a variant of hyperextension exercise that can be done at home. You can swing back and forth at the fulcrum. We strive to complete 10-15 repetitions.
Exercise for lower back pain can strengthen the muscle corset and reduce the manifestation of the disease. As soon as you remove the pain syndrome and start training, the effect will not take long.
Strengthening the back muscle in osteochondrosis is of paramount importance both for the sacral region and for all other parts of the back.
There are more serious exercises for the lumbosacral spine. They should be done after those indicated above. This is raising the legs in the hips (there is no load on the spine at all, one stretching), raising the body on an inclined press bench, hyperextension in the simulator.
Even with osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine, a bandage of varying degrees of stiffness often saves. Consult your doctor about this.
Exercises to strengthen the muscles of the back can be done only after the soreness is gone. For back pain, extending to the leg or other part of the body, you should consult a neurologist.
The doctor will determine the location of pinching and prescribe the necessary treatment. When the pain begins to go away and gradually subsides - this is the very moment to start exercising. And remember, do only that which does not cause you discomfort!
What to do next?
The acute period has passed, you have diligently done everything that is necessary to strengthen the muscles of the back with osteochondrosis (how to strengthen the muscles, it was said earlier). You are well done!
Further scenario 2:
- You can quit gymnastics, return to your previous way of life and again feel all the charm, for example, osteochondrosis of the lumbar. To do this, you need to live the way you lived before.
- Or you can take the path of health - to glance at your diet, weight, do the same exercises for back pain and other departments. At least just so that there would be no more pain. You can also find some other complexes to maintain spinal health. Exercise is the easiest treatment.
The choice is yours.