Wide grip pull-ups - the favorite basic exercise for many to develop the widest. It is these muscles that contribute to the formation of an impressive back and, accordingly, a beautiful V-shaped. What other advantages can lovers of classes on the horizontal bar extract for themselves? We will analyze the exercise in detail.
It will be a classic version - pulling on the horizontal bar to the chest. Variations and complications, such as head pulls , are discussed in separate articles on the site.
Pull-ups on the horizontal bar as a whole is one of the most effective exercises for the back. Wide grip allows you to load the upper part of the latissimus muscle, which is largely responsible for the visually wide back.
So, what kind of muscles work in the first place:
- the widest;
- big round.
In addition, muscles (assistants) work:
- large and small pectoral;
- brachial muscles;
Wide grip pull-ups are performed as follows:
- Starting position - hanging on the horizontal bar. A wide grip (about 20 centimeters more than the width of the shoulders), the hands are directed by the palms from themselves. Hands are straight and relaxed, grip is held, only forearms are tensed. You can catch the right feeling if you imagine that your hands are just fastenings, hooks or ropes on which your body hangs on a horizontal bar. Take a deep breath.
- Feeling the tension of the widest, pull up on the bar up to the chest, exhaling. Do not bring your elbows to the body, try to fix their position.
- At the upper point, strive to ensure that the crossbar is at the level of the upper chest. Simply put, the chin should be above the crossbar. The forearms should be parallel to each other and, accordingly, perpendicular to the floor.
- Get down to the starting position smoothly, taking a breath. Strive to lower yourself under control, feeling how the widest ones work, do not drop your body weight sharply down. Go to the next repetition.
Please note that the elbows should not be brought to the body, their position should be fixed as much as possible. Otherwise, you reduce the amplitude of contraction of the target muscles and reduce the effectiveness of the exercise.
During execution, the temptation is great to help yourself, swinging the case on the horizontal bar. We strongly recommend not simplifying your life in this way. Only with the correct technique, pull-ups work at full strength, otherwise you just waste your time.
What chips will help make pull-ups with a wide grip as effective as possible? The recommendations are as follows:
- Try to perform the exercise, straining exclusively the broadest muscles. The inclusion of biceps and forearms will reduce the effectiveness of the back.
- To form a powerful back, you need to include the upper part of the broadest muscles as much as possible, which is achieved thanks to a wide grip. But do not overdo it so as not to get injured. Choose the optimal position gradually, if you feel discomfort and a feeling of "jamming", stop the exercise and adjust the technique.
- What alternatives can you choose if you are a beginner and it is difficult for you to immediately do an exercise on the horizontal bar? Preliminary strengthening of the target muscles will help you with vertical thrust in the block simulator, exercises in the gravitron or the help of a partner, who at first can push you to the crossbar. Your task is to feel how your back muscles work.
- If you are an experienced athlete, use extra weight. Usually the cargo is fastened in a special way on the belt. Also, it is not forbidden to use wrist straps for more confident fixation on the horizontal bar.
Exercise with experience and training can be alternated with other types of pull-ups. Which variations to prefer depends on the goals of your workout.
Wide grip pull-ups are a basic exercise, which also requires serious efforts. Therefore, it is recommended to include it at the beginning of a workout on the back. You can perform in three to four sets of 10-12 repetitions.