For the treatment of many diseases of the musculoskeletal system, exercise therapy is used. Simple and safe exercises save us from various ailments. What to do if the neck hurts? In this case, exercises for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine come to the rescue.
The neck is one of the most vulnerable places
The neck is really very vulnerable and requires careful treatment. Through it pass the vessels that feed the brain, as well as the nerves through which the signals that regulate our activity (motor activity, for example) enter the body.
Our neck is in tension for most of the day, as its muscles need to continuously hold its head, the mass of which reaches 2 or more kg. Normally, the muscles cope with their task. But add to this the uncomfortable and incorrect postures that we tend to take, a long stay in a stationary state. We load muscles unevenly, depriving them of rest and making blood supply difficult.
The first problems with the cervical spine arise precisely due to excessive fatigue of the neck muscles. Typical symptoms are leakage and muscle fatigue. This primary problem is solved with the help of a simple massage, which I will talk about a little later.
Often people do not pay attention to such symptoms, so the discussion goes further about treating a problem that has transformed into a disease - cervical osteochondrosis.
Hence the importance of charging for the neck with osteochondrosis.
How exercise therapy can save you from pain
With the development of the acute stage of cervical osteochondrosis, first of all, it is necessary to remove the pain syndrome. When the pain symptoms go away, you can start treatment with exercise therapy. This is a set of exercises for cervical osteochondrosis, which includes a number of head movements, including isometric exercises for the neck.
Gymnastics for the neck with osteochondrosis is mandatory. Without it, treatment will not give the desired effect. After all, without a strong muscle corset, the spine will suffer from vertical gravity pressure.
The natural root cause of all diseases of the spine is gravity. Its vector is perpendicular to the surface of the earth. Now imagine what happens to the spine if this load puts pressure on it not strictly vertically. For example, this happens when we, hunched over, sit at the table, immersed in different papers.
The neck is curved, inclined 45 degrees relative to the vertical, if averaged. Due to the severity of the head, there is a slightly diagonal displacement of the vertebrae relative to each other. The intervertebral cartilages experience an unusual load for them, and eventually fade and deform.
Normally, even this position is compensated by the strong muscles of the neck, but what kind of strong muscles can be talked about when a person almost does not move? That is the problem.
If you delve deeper into this question, then there is still nutrition, or rather, a lack of joint-forming substances in food complicates the situation. Cartilage tissue, and so it is updated slowly, and if the body lacks the necessary substances, it has nothing to update.
So, the root cause of osteochondrosis is gravity. But strong muscles can interfere with this process. So, the already secondary cause of osteochondrosis is weak neck muscles. Hence the conclusion: if cervical osteochondrosis has begun, exercises will help in solving this problem.
Exercise therapy strengthens the muscles of the neck , relieves clamps and improves blood circulation. This is an effective method for the treatment of osteochondrosis and for the prevention of its progression in the future.
Thus, the problem can be solved if we comprehensively influence all the reasons for its appearance:
- Strengthen the neck muscles with charging for the neck in osteochondrosis. Exercises for cervical osteochondrosis will be given below.
- Avoid incorrect postures and prolonged motionless sitting in one place.
- Eat special additives for joints or develop a complete diet for yourself.
This is all best done at the same time.
In addition to osteochondrosis, another unpleasant thing can happen to the neck - hypothermia. In this case, no exercise will help you until the inflammation has passed. Do not delay the treatment for long.
And another option, limited head mobility. In this case, you need to carefully knead the neck and do for the neck with osteochondrosis at the amplitude that allows you to perform the movement painlessly.
Thinning of the intervertebral discs in the cervical region leads to nerve endings being pinched. In addition to nerves, vessels also suffer. This leads to a lack of oxygen to the brain and manifests itself in the form of dizziness. There are other symptoms - headache.
There are exercises for dizziness with cervical osteochondrosis. In fact, they are the same as those from osteochondrosis. Their meaning is to stretch the clamped muscles, strengthen them, release nerves and blood vessels from the clamps.
In general, any physical exercises with osteochondrosis (without burdens) contribute to improving blood circulation throughout the body, including a more intense blood exchange between the body and head. Our brain receives more nutrition and oxygen, and this affects labor productivity.
Weighted exercises are not recommended for cervical osteochondrosis. They certainly will not save from the osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, but they can accelerate the process of cartilage degradation.
For various diseases of the spine, weight-bearing exercises, in general, should be performed with great care. Depending on the disease, movements that give a vertical load to the spinal column, flexion of the back, etc., may be excluded.
How long does exercise therapy?
Human laziness has no boundaries. Often we stop working as soon as the problem goes away. A man does fitness while losing weight. As soon as he achieved the desired result, everything stops. With diseases, this approach is not only ineffective, but also fraught with the return of the disease.
For the prevention of cervical osteochondrosis, you need to periodically deal with your neck. This is easily done at home. In addition, it does not take much time. The process is very pleasant - the feeling of warmth and relaxation in the muscles will not take long.
You can also buy a corset neck and wear it in acute periods. But there are subtleties. Accustomed to artificial support, you can live your whole life, because the corset holds its head instead of muscles. And this is not at all useful for the cervical spine. Muscles eventually lose their tone.
The therapeutic effect of an exercise against cervical osteochondrosis lasts from 2 weeks to a month. If you stop exercising as soon as the muscles lose their tone again, you run the risk of experiencing headaches and difficulty turning your head again. Therefore, exercises to strengthen the neck muscles in this case play a huge role in maintaining comfort.
So decide whether to do exercises for osteochondrosis or not.
Gymnastics complex for the neck
It is better not to do any exercises for exacerbation of cervical osteochondrosis. Acute symptoms should be relieved by your doctor first. After all, if you move your head hurt - all the gymnastics will be painful.
The most effective exercises for cervical osteochondrosis are very simple: these are head movements plus isometric muscle tension. Everything is done very simply - at home, at work, on the road.
Here is an approximate set of exercises (we will agree that the initial position is sitting straight, hands on your knees):
- In the initial position, gently turn your head to the right until it stops, then to the left. Feel your neck muscles stretch. The nuance here is this: turn your head and try to turn it a little further without jerking, save this tension for 5 seconds. In general, it is better to start any exercises for the spine with exercises to strengthen the neck muscles. They include the development of its flexibility and strength. Take 5 turns in each direction.
- Now tilt your head to the side so that your ear approaches your shoulder. No need to lift your shoulder! Just as in the previous movement, hold the tension. If you have a flexible neck, use your hands to press your ear to your shoulder. If it hurts, make movements with painless amplitude! Perform 5 tilts left and right.
- Now make circular head movements clockwise and counterclockwise. 8 movements in each direction. Slow! You can hold your head with your hands. This is an effective gymnastics for osteochondrosis of the neck.
- The warm-up is over, and now the strength exercises: with your right hand rest against the right temple. Try to tilt your head to the right, and with your hand obstruct this movement. Create an effort that is hard, but your head moves in the right direction. 10 times in each direction (to move left, use the other hand, respectively).
- Now grasp the head behind (the occipital region) and through the resistance of the hands try to tilt the back of the head 5 times, then 5 times move the head back in the horizontal plane. It will be released a total of 10 times.
- Now put your palms on your forehead and tilt your head down through the resistance of the hands (pull the chin to the chest). Do this 10 times, then through resistance, move your head horizontally forward (like pigeons while walking).
- And finally, you can stretch the trapezoid by raising and lowering the shoulders. Raised - delayed for 2-3 seconds (pull up), lowered - relaxed. Do 10 repetitions.
- Pull your neck in different directions, the gym is over. Do it all once a day. This is an excellent neck exercise for osteochondrosis.
What exercises can still be done? For example, for flexibility of the neck. These are also exercises for the muscles of the neck, but they also pull the tendons. Thanks to this, your neck will be more mobile.
Additional exercises for flexibility
This charge should be performed not only with osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, but also, in principle, at the onset of 30-40 years. At this age, the degradation of muscle fibers begins, the loss of flexibility is gaining particularly rapid momentum, if you do not engage in their physical form.
- Stretch your chin to your chest, help your head with your hands.
- Tilt your head sideways with your hands to touch your shoulder with your ear. Stretch the side of the neck with your hand.
It's enough. And remember what you can not do with cervical osteochondrosis - to deal with through pain.
When your head hurts or your neck aches, you can grind and crush your muscles.
- The muscle that holds our head is attached to the back of the head. Swipe the index and middle finger across the muscle from the back of the head and down, applying moderate pressure (so that it does not hurt, but it is pleasant). Squeeze this muscle to shoulder level.
- Now, with our hands we feel for the trapezium and knead them. The trapezoid is located between the neck and shoulder from the back. After such simple manipulations, you are as if born again.
Among other things, make sure your neck is not sagging. After the massage, it is warmed up and more vulnerable than ever to the cold.
And finally, I repeat once again, while cervical osteochondrosis is manifested acutely, medical exercises do not need to be done.
To summarize: if you do the exercises listed in the article, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine will not completely disappear (after all, the cartilage is already damaged), but the condition will noticeably improve, the clamps, pain symptoms will go away, the disease will stop progressing. Thus, you can forget about this unpleasant ailment and live a full life.
But remember, exercises for the neck with osteochondrosis should be done regularly.