Special exercises for the knees are part of the rehabilitation program after injuries, fractures, and arthritis to restore mobility and strength of muscles that provide flexion and extension of the legs in the knee. In this article we will not tell how to pump something up, because it is devoted specifically to rehabilitation issues.
What threatens a knee injury
Usually, athletes who damage the meniscus and ligaments come to a traumatologist with knee pain. The rest is referred to a specialist after complex fractures. Sometimes a fracture cannot be simply gypsum, especially in the knee. Plaster can permanently immobilize the leg.
To avoid this, surgeons correctly collect broken bone, insert special prostheses, pins, so that everything grows together correctly and quickly.
After removing the cast, the leg loses mobility. Especially after a knee fracture, it is not possible to move the leg - it hurts. Ligaments have lost elasticity, flexibility. And a person cannot bend his leg even 90 degrees. Here a set of therapeutic exercises comes to the rescue, which will strengthen the muscle apparatus and ligaments of the recovering leg.
Neglected restorative procedures, a knee injury can lead to complete immobility of the legs and, in severe cases, to a wheelchair. This is the rationale for the need for rehabilitation measures.
All exercises for the joints can be performed at home, laying a mat for fitness. Make sure there are no drafts in the room. Knees should not be subjected even to short-term hypothermia.
Exercises and Technique
As we said, you can do everything at home. We recommend that you purchase a regular children's ball, as well as a fitball. If you have problems with finances, a baby ball with a diameter of 15–20 cm, which can be bought at any children's store, will be enough. The ball should be light and have medium hardness (open the secret, you will use it during some exercises). This will be enough to restore the physical characteristics of the legs.
Rehabilitation is a multifaceted and complex process. Like the knee joint itself.
Some elements that make up the complex help strengthen all the muscles of the legs, while others develop the joint in isolation. We will divide the exercises into those that restore muscle tone, and those that increase the mobility of the joint itself. One cannot do one thing, because the movement is provided by the total qualities of the knee joint, ligaments and muscles of the leg.
Note that if you did not have injuries, but your knees started to crackle, or you feel pain in them, then you should pay special attention to warm-up before training or in the morning, after waking up. Let's start with her.
Morning exercises for the knees
The following is a set of exercises to restore mobility of the knee joint after injuries and the prevention of age-related changes.
- As soon as you wake up, lift one leg slightly up, bend it at the knee so that it is not difficult to keep it in the air. Bend your leg to the smallest possible angle, and straighten it. Pull the toe so that the calf muscle is tensed. Do this exercise for each leg 10 times.
- Now, from the same position, try to draw a toe in a circle. Try to keep the circle correct. Watch your eyes closely for what your leg draws. In this case, mobility should be only in the knee. Do not touch the ankle. Pull the sock forward, as if in front of you an invisible sheet of paper, and you draw on it with your big toe. Draw 5 circles clockwise and 5 against. Repeat the same for the second leg.
So now you are ready to get up. We proceed to the next part.
We get up near the bed, feet shoulder width apart. We put the right foot on the toe, we transfer the center of gravity to the other leg. We tear off the sock from the floor so that it hangs freely in the air. We perform flexion and extension of the leg at the knee. We bend as much as possible, touching the heel of the buttocks or the back of the thigh. We bend to the usual state so as not to injure the patella. For each leg, repeat the exercise 10 times (back and forth movement is considered once). If standing up is difficult, you can sit on a chair or on the edge of the bed.
Next, lower your foot to the floor. Feet together, tilt the body and take both hands on the knees in front, resting on their palms. Now your task is to draw a circle with the knee joint using your hands. Draw 10 circles in one direction and 10 back.
And the third exercise - draw a circle with the toe on the floor. To do this, slightly raise the leg so that the sock (and it stretches down) hangs freely above the floor. Draw 5 circles clockwise and 5 against it. Do the same for the other leg.
The given complex is a measure of prevention of age-related restriction of knee mobility.
For example, salt (insoluble) may be deposited in the joint or there may not be enough joint fluid. Yes, and ligaments become denser over time, lose elasticity, as do tendons. Therefore, such a morning warm-up will allow you to keep your knees in good condition.
You can use the same exercises when restoring mobility.
We said that pumping up the leg muscles with such exercises in the usual sense is impossible. But for those who have been without movement for a long time, the word “pump up” is most suitable, along with the word “strengthen”. Now consider a set of exercises to strengthen the muscles and ligaments of the knee joint.
Medical complex for the restoration and strengthening of the knees
The complex contains exercises related to the rehabilitation program after arthrosis and knee injuries, and helps to strengthen them.
We stele the rug, lay back on it:
- We extend our arms upward over our heads, palms turned to the ceiling, socks stretch in the opposite direction. On inspiration, we pull the socks towards ourselves and begin to stretch each heel down (parallel to the floor). At this time, the pelvis moves slightly - this is normal. As you exhale, lower your socks down again. Do not hold your breath, just remember when to inhale and when to exhale.
- Hands lower down parallel to the body. Raise the right leg and stretch the toe up. On inhalation we pull it towards ourselves, on exhalation from ourselves. We do this 5 times for each leg, feeling a sprain in the knee.
- From the same position, we begin to make a “bicycle” - 10 rotational movements with each foot in turn.
- Then the “bicycle” is done immediately with two legs - 20 laps. Do not forget to pull the sock away from you.
- Now lower your legs, bend them at your knees 100 degrees (more than a right angle), spread your knees to the sides. Feet together. This exercise is called a butterfly . We raise our knees and bring them together - we do this 10 times.
- From the prone position, pull the knee with both hands to the stomach. Press it and stretch facing the knee. We do 5 stretching movements in this way.
- Then we wrap our arms around both knees and do the same.
- Bent legs to an acute angle, feet shoulder width apart. We place the right foot with our feet on the left knee and turn the knee of the right leg to the side and back. We do 5-10 stretching movements. Then do the same for the second leg.
- Now it’s more difficult: when one leg is on the other’s knee, use the last to lift both legs, touching the first knee of the chest.
- Feet shoulder width apart, lower the right knee inward (to the left side), touching the floor with it. Repeat 10 times for each leg.
- Now we need a ball (or a roller). We sit on a chair, put the ball under the foot. We roll it back and forth, left and right due to the movement of the knee joint. Each leg make 10 movements in all 4 directions.
- We sit on the floor, make a “butterfly” from a sitting position. Hands do not help, they are located between the legs and hold the feet.
The listed exercises for the knees can be done both alternately for each leg, and a bunch, driving 3-4 exercises for each leg in a row.
Finally, a number of recommendations:
- Exercises for arthrosis of the knee are the same.
- We noted that this is a rehabilitation complex. Naturally, not only the knees are involved in it, but also all the muscles of the legs. Therefore, in addition to the above exercises, there are also different options for mixing legs, “scissors”, etc. They do not touch the knee joint, so we intentionally omitted them.
- Instead of the ball, you can use the roller and roll it not on the chair, but lying down.
- Joint exercises are optional. They are needed only if there are problems with the knees. When you feel that your knees begin to bring you trouble, it's time to remember this complex.
The term “pump up” means a heavy load. Here, this is out of the question. You can pump up your legs when your knee problems go away - so try if you already have these problems.