Over time, exercises for the press with its own body weight become less effective. This is due to the adaptation of muscles to training. In order to “push” further development, it is necessary to increase the load with the help of weights. We offer to disassemble an unusual strength element for working out the abdominal muscles - the “lumberjack”.
Benefits and contraindications
An absolute plus of the exercises is the comprehensive training of the abs muscles: straight, lateral and oblique. The element also indirectly works on the iliac-rib muscles and lumbar.
As stabilizers when turning the case are:
- extensors of the back;
- the widest;
Other advantages of the "woodcutter":
- increase in the "explosive" strength of the muscles of the central part of the body;
- weight loss (when used in weight loss programs);
- Strengthening the small muscles responsible for coordination and balance;
- development of mobility of the shoulder girdle;
- the formation of a beautiful relief of the press;
- improved posture.
Lumberjack exercise is not recommended for the following diseases and conditions:
- recovery after abdominal surgery;
- spinal injuries;
- damage to the shoulder joints;
- hernia of the abdomen;
Technique and recommendations
To begin with, we will analyze a common execution technique - a “lumberjack” on a block. The exercise uses a crossover simulator:
- Fasten the D-handle to the cable of the upper unit.
- Grasp it with both palms and take a step back.
- Turn sideways, the cable should be pulled, and the weight slightly raised.
- Keep your arms straight.
- Exhale and gently pull the handle obliquely to the opposite thigh.
- On inspiration - return to starting position.
- Do the required number of leads down, then stand on the other side and repeat.
- Keep your back steady while doing it; do not lean forward.
- Both phases of movement should be controlled, do not allow sharp jerks down and quick leads.
- At the lower point, slightly bend the supporting leg (the one to which you pull the handle), turn the other limb inward on the toe.
- Maintain the muscles of the press in light tension during the approach.
- During leads, do not bend your arms. Otherwise, the load will shift from the abdominal muscles to biceps and triceps.
Perform such a number of turns on the block, in which you will feel muscle failure at the end of each set. Experienced athletes do 3-4 approaches for 12-15 repetitions.
We examined in detail the classic technique. Now consider other options.
"Lumberjack" with a weight
Exercise can be done with a dumbbell or gymnastic ball. Technics:
- Stand straight with your feet slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Grip the kettlebell handle with both palms and lower it in front of you.
- Inhale, twist the body to the right.
- At the same time, bend your legs and bend slightly until the projectile touches the floor.
- Exhale, rise and rotate the body 180 °, lifting the weight above your head.
Lumberjack with a barbell
- Remove the bar from the uprights and lay it at one end in a corner.
- Throw pancakes at the other end.
- Raise the loaded edge to chest level.
- Spread your legs wider than your shoulders.
- Exhale and twist the body to the right.
- At the same time, lower the edge of the bar to the right knee and turn the left foot inward.
- On inspiration, rise to the starting position and repeat in the other direction.
The element is executed in the crossover:
- Fasten the rope handle to the cable of the lower block and grasp it.
- Stand back about a meter and turn sideways.
- Keep your hands near the thigh, while the cable should be in tension and the load slightly raised.
- Exhale and pull the handle diagonally upward.
- At the same time, rotate the housing to the side.
- At the top point, freeze for a second, then on inhalation return to the starting position.
When doing this, do not bend your elbows, and keep the press in tension.
Lumberjack on his knees
Thanks to this technique, leg muscles are excluded from the work, the emphasis is shifted to the abdominal press:
- With both palms, grasp the D-handle attached to the upper cable of the block trainer.
- Stand back a meter, turn sideways and kneel down.
- Exhale and twist the body to the side, at the same time, pull the handle diagonally downward.
- As you exhale, return to starting position.
If it’s hard to keep your balance on your knees, put your foot forward (the one closer to the trainer) and bend it at a right angle. This version of the exercise is called "lumberjack in attack."
The elements considered should be done on 3-4 approaches of 12-15 repetitions. If your goal is losing weight, increase the number of movements to 20 in each set and increase the intensity of execution.
Use in training programs
"Lumberjack" is aimed at the development of abdominal muscles, which means that the element is most often placed at the end of the session in combination with other exercises for the press. As an example of the use of the “woodcutter”, we present the “full-body” training scheme for beginner athletes:
- Warm-up: 10 minutes cardio (exercise bike, jump rope, orbitrek).
- Squats in Smith's frame - 3x8-12.
- Lunges forward with kettlebells - 3x8-12.
- Bench press lying - 3x8-12.
- The layout of the dumbbells on the bench is 3x8-12.
- The draft of the barbell to the belt in an inclination is 3x8-12.
- "Lumberjack" in the crossover - 3x12-15.
- Crunchy in the Roman chair - 3x12-15.
The classic version of the exercise "woodcutter" can be performed not only in the fitness room in the crossover, but also at home. For classes you will need a sports shock absorber. The skier’s expander is best suited - a single tubular elastic with a soft cuff at the end.
Securely fasten the end of the projectile at the required height and perform “chopping” movements on the press. In home training, we recommend combining the “lumberjack” with other isolated elements for the full development of the abdominal muscles.