For a good study of triceps, trainers recommend using a bench press with a narrow grip. This exercise is easy for an inexperienced eye to confuse with a bench press with a reverse grip or a classic bench press. But the differences are enormous, let's see for yourself.
When using a narrow grip, the load on the muscles is distributed as follows:
- Triceps (lateral, medial and long bundles) - do the bulk of the work.
- Large pectoral muscles - work in synergy with triceps. When changing the grip to a wider one and moving the elbows to the sides, they take the load on themselves.
- Deltoid muscles (anterior bundle).
The muscles stabilizing the body and arms also work in this exercise. Holding the shell with a narrow grip so that it does not walk is somewhat more difficult than wide.
Narrow Grip Home Analogs
The easiest way to repeat the bench press with a narrow grip without a bar is to squeeze from the floor or from a horizontal pipe, placing your palms close to each other. Thus, you can work on triceps outside the gym, but, limited to the weight of your own body.
Another option is to take dumbbells, get comfortable on an inclined or horizontal bench (you can put stools in a row) and make the bench a narrow grip with them. It’s also a good option, however, controlling the movement is quite difficult.
Nevertheless, it is optimal to perform the exercise with a barbell. Back to her.
What day do you need to do the exercise and what should it be like?
It all depends on the goals of your training:
- Typically, the triceps bench press is done on the same day muscles (chest and triceps) after the classic bench press, bench press on an incline bench or push-ups on the uneven bars.
- If you decide to set aside a separate day for triceps, reducing the load on the chest, then you can start the entire workout with this exercise. By first performing the bench press with a narrow grip, you can make the French bench press and extend the arms on the block, and then finish off the muscle by bending the arms with dumbbells behind the head.
The technique is very simple, but still requires attention. As elsewhere there are nuances.
Of the limitations, the following can be mentioned:
- Do not make the barbell a narrow grip on the day of the shoulders, as this can lead to injury.
- It is also not recommended to do similar presses on an inclined bench at an angle up. Use only a horizontal surface or a slight negative slope.
Narrow grip techniques
In the gyms, you can watch the bench press with a narrow grip in different designs. Below are two options, the technique of which is different.
First of all, you need to prepare a place for the bench: put the racks to the desired height, hang an empty bar for warming up.
- Lie on the bench correctly: the pelvis, nape and shoulder blades should be pressed to its surface.
- Grasp the bar so that between your hands is 25-30 cm, the grip is straight.
- Straighten your arms by removing the bar from the racks. Take him so that he is opposite the middle of the chest.
- When you begin to lower the weight on the chest, the elbows should walk close to the body. If you spread them to the sides, the load from the triceps goes to the pectoral muscles. The arms are fully extended when lifting.
We do a warm-up approach of 10-15 repetitions. We hang working weights and begin to engage in: 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
Not only the triceps work, but also the degree of load on the front bundles of deltoid muscles will depend on where you will lower the weight. The nuances here are as follows: lowering the bar to the bottom of the chest, you maximize the use of both triceps and shoulders. There are damage to the latter. The surest technique in this case is lifting the barbell from the middle of the chest. Try to lower it there too.
If you feel pain in your shoulders, stop this exercise immediately.
Initially, we talked about a tight grip on triceps training. The same option is designed to accentuate the load on the inside of the pectoral muscles.
The bar will need to be taken with an even narrower grip than in the previous case.
- Lie in such a way that the back of the head, pelvis and shoulder blades are pressed against the bench.
- Spread your legs so that your position on the bench is stable.
- Now grasp the bar so that your hands are 8-10 cm apart from each other.
- Spread your elbows in opposite directions. Remove the bar by straightening your arms.
- Lower the weight on the chest (between the diaphragm and the collarbone).
Do 10-15 warm-up reps. Hang a working weight (small) and do 3 sets of 12 reps. Thus, you will work out the inside of the pectoral muscles.
One of the common problems with such a bench press is that it is difficult to hold the bar while tacking the bar with such a grip. In addition, your wrists are in a rather uncomfortable position. These are perhaps the only serious flaws in the exercise.
This version of the bench should not be performed on an inclined bench at different angles - only lying in a horizontal position.
In any exercise, there is one way to execute the movement correctly and many ways to make it incorrect. Pay attention to popular mistakes and try to avoid them.
When a person has taken too much weight, from the outside it looks like this:
- The lifting of the bar is not smooth, but with the help of a jerk and bend of the whole body.
- The vulture sways and walks not along a given trajectory, but anyhow.
- Lowering the weight occurs very quickly, the bar falls on the chest and amortizes from it.
Naturally, in this case, the technique will be dangerous for the muscles, joints and ligaments. You can easily get a dislocation of the shoulder. And the lower you lower the bar, all the way to the abdomen, the greater the load on the shoulders. And triceps, on the contrary, will lose it.
Wrong position of elbows
The degree of load on the triceps depends on what position your elbows will be in. The elbows should be pressed to the body and move strictly up and down, but not to the sides.
In this case, you will achieve maximum load on them.
Using a reclining bench
It makes no sense to work at positive angles. This will not change the load on different parts of the triceps. Therefore, you do not need to work on an inclined bench. Just put it in a horizontal position. Or, as an option, use a bench with a slight negative slope.
Using locks of different weights
This subtlety is not entirely obvious, but still.
It is important that the locks on the bar weigh equally. A difference of 200-300 grams is enough to make it possible to lose balance, especially in the last repetitions, when there is practically no strength.
When you do a barbell lift, because of such a difference, one hand will be able to squeeze the weight, and the other will not. As a result, the bar will go to the right or left. Be careful and select the same locks on both ends of the neck.
Do not complicate your life - breathe correctly.
Lifting is carried out on an exhalation, lowering of weight - on an inhalation.
Exhalation occurs through the mouth, and inhalation occurs through the nose. This is because through the mouth you can exhale more strongly than through the nose. So, you can make a stronger weight gain.
Too light weight
Choose your weight so that the last 2–3 reps in each approach are hard for you. If you still have strength, then the weight is too light. This is permissible only at first, when you begin to train. After a month of introductory training, you need to gradually increase weights to failures in order to effectively spend time in the gym.
What not to do
The first is to check how much you can squeeze at a time. The bench press with a narrow grip can be dangerous for the elbows and shoulders, if you use the maximum weight. Triceps bench press is needed for muscle pumping, and not for demonstration performances.
Secondly, work without a good workout. Always preheat your muscles.