In addition to heavy basic back exercises, there are a number of formative exercises that allow you to work on specific muscle groups. For the development of the broadest muscles or wings, the thrust of the horizontal block is ideal (the other name for this thrust is frontal).
The meaning of exercise and muscle work
Horizontal traction in the block simulator is one of the necessary exercises on the day when you train your back. Thanks to the variation of the grip, you can pump the broadest muscles from all sides. This is very convenient when with the help of basic exercises you have already gained weight and want to give the muscles the desired shape.
During the exercise, work:
- The widest muscles - they have the main load.
- Biceps - help to pull weight by bending your arms at the elbows.
- Extensor muscles of the spine. They are responsible for straightening the back.
- In addition, trapezius muscles, large round, rhomboid, and posterior deltas are included.
If you do the exercise incorrectly, the biceps or lower back will work, and the lats will tighten last. Therefore, pay special attention to technology.
The thrust of the block sitting to the belt, also known as rowing thrust, is performed in a special block simulator. Usually the simulator has a lower and upper block. The upper one can be pulled by the head or to the chest, and we will pull the lower one to the belt.
Do not confuse, the rod pull to the belt and the pull of the horizontal block are two different things. The first exercise is basic mass gain. The second is more formative; it is done sitting.
So, let's start the exercise:
- Set the desired weight (for men - 10 kg, for women - 5). Now we will do a warm-up with light weights.
- Feet rest against special stops, bend them at the knees, find a comfortable position (the land can be from small to 90 degrees). Keep your back straight, in the lower back a natural deflection.
- Pull your hands forward and grab the pre-set handle.
- Pull the weight towards you until the body assumes a position perpendicular to the floor. From this point we begin to do repetitions.
- Straighten your shoulders, bringing the shoulder blades, pull the handle to the stomach. You should feel the load in your back, not your biceps. We will come back to this later.
- When the handle touches the belt, linger in this position for 1 second. In this position, your shoulder blades are maximally reduced.
- Then release the weight back. In classical technology, the case remains motionless. If you perform the exercise by deflecting the body forward after the weight, then you should not bend too much and round your back. Even if the tiles of the simulator did not fall completely. During the entire exercise, the lower back deflection remains, and the shoulder blades remain pressed. The difference between the two techniques is described below.
When during the exercise, you tilt the body forward while lowering the weight, and then pull it back again during the next lift - you force the back extensors to contract as well. These are long muscles running along the spine. The latissimus muscles (namely, the exercise was originally intended for their development) are responsible for bringing the hands to the body. That is, the widest ones work exactly when you pull your elbows back.
Therefore, if your goal is actually the broadest, fix the body in one position and work exclusively with your hands, not leaning forward after the weight. If you want to make your whole back work, leaning forward will help you better stretch your muscles before your next rep. But remember that in this case there will be a risk of injuring the lower back.
Do 10-12 reps in 3-4 sets with a working weight.
How to choose the working weight
To correctly choose the weight with which your back muscles will grow, you need to carefully listen to yourself during the exercise:
- Take light weight, do 4–5 reps with it. Add 5 kg, do 1-2 times. Add pancakes to the simulator this way until you feel the load. If the load is felt, but still easy, go to a step of 2.5 kg.
- Now do 12 repetitions. If you can’t, rest for 3-4 minutes so that you can again adequately assess the weight. A short break will not allow your muscles to restore energy reserves, and you misinterpret your feelings.
- When you feel that the weight is normal - work. In the following workouts, add 2.5 kg, guided by your feelings. And do not expect quick results, muscles grow slowly - be patient. Your perseverance will be rewarded.
Horizontal thrust in a block simulator, if improperly performed, will turn from a useful and effective exercise into harmful and even dangerous. By breaking the technique, you risk tearing back muscles, getting lumbar osteochondrosis, and pulling biceps.
The technique was developed taking into account physiology and anatomy in order to minimize the risk of injury and pump muscles.
- The back is round. Horizontal traction in a block simulator implies static tension of the extensor muscles of the back. With a straightened position, the back does not receive a critical traumatic load, and in a rounded state, the lower back suffers.
- Look down. It is necessary to look forward so that the spine is in the right condition.
- Pull the weight with your hands. There are special exercises for biceps, why download them here? Pull the weight with your back. To do this, first pull due to the reduction of the blades. As much as possible we reduce them, to the stop. Then we bring the weight by hand. Thus, starting from the back, you will exclude the prevalence of biceps in this exercise.
- Excessive leaning forward. You do not need to work with your lower back, moving like a pendulum. The thrust of the horizontal block is made not by the loin, but by the widest.
- Jerks. Remember that you need to do the exercise slowly and thoughtfully. Feel every movement, listen to what muscles are working. After all, who, if not you, will do this? Except you, no one can.
- Kicking off the stops during exercise is not a good idea. Because it's natural cheating. And a waste of energy. The weight is distributed between the muscles of the body, and the back does not work.
You can pull the weight to different places with a narrow and wide grip using different handles.
The classic gym offers us 3 options for handles that allow you to pull weight with three grips:
- Thrust of the lower block with a narrow grip, palms turned to each other. In this case, the middle part of the broadest muscles works.
- Thrust wide grip with palms inward. Such a grip allows you to pump the upper part of the latissimus muscles.
- A neck with curved ends, designed to pull the upper block, allows you to use the outer part of the latissimus due to the fact that you hold a wide grip.
Thrust in different directions
Traction of the lower block to different parts of the body make different parts of the back muscles work. This feature is convenient to use to create an individual contour of your back:
- The pull of the lower block to the belt allows you to load the middle part of the widest. In general, this version of the movement is standard; most trainers recommend it. So, pulling a block to your belt can be one of the exercises in your back bottom. Another option for the name of the exercise is the pull of the lower block to the stomach.
- Craving for the groin will allow you to work on the lower part of the widest. This is the most difficult version of the exercise, since the bottom is always weaker than the top (judge for yourself by volume).
- Seated chest cravings are a common option for beginners. Sometimes this can be a sign that you have taken a lot of weight and can not perform the exercise, leading it to the belt. If you are directed towards the chest, then you know, the upper part of the widest sways more.
Recall that the exercise is done while sitting, not standing. Therefore, most muscles are isolated. However, your legs are a little strained to prevent your pelvis from moving after weight.
Draft for girls
The triangular back of the girls does not look very beautiful, you must agree, therefore, when working with this exercise, the girls should not chase the scales. It is enough for you to pull up the broadest ones, to bring them in tone. Work on the number, doing 12-15 repetitions in three sets. Take your time, let the muscles work smoothly.
You should not vary with different vultures and pull them to different parts of the body. Make a classic - it pumps the widest almost evenly.
When can’t you do traction?
When your lower back hurts, you can do this exercise by wearing a special orthopedic belt. It is necessary to protect the sacro-lumbar spine from unnecessary load. Let the latissimus muscles swing, and the lower back will be safe.
If during the traction of the lower block your hands in the elbow area get sick - stop doing it. When performing the exercise, the brachial muscle that can be pulled is connected to the biceps. It will heal for a long time, causing discomfort only with a significant load.