Lunges develop quadriceps, thigh biceps, buttocks and calf. And the variation in Smith's simulator allows those who have been engaged in using more serious working weights for a long time, and for beginners to maintain stability. And while strength trainers question the effectiveness of working in Smith for a healthy person, and insist that such people should perform barbell movements, those who are engaged in bodybuilding actively include this variation of exercise in their programs.
- The bar is installed in Smith’s car at a height just above the clavicle;
- The athlete comes under the bar with both legs, and has the bar on top of the trapezius muscle;
- The feet are placed at the width of the hips for a squat;
- Then they step back with one foot, and the other is placed frontally;
- The toe in front of the standing leg can look forward or slightly outward, but not inward.
- Exercise consists in simultaneously bending the thigh and knee, moreover, in both legs;
- The front leg bends to a right angle at the knee;
- Support - to the point that allows you to bring the knee as close to the floor as possible, but not get the shock load;
- The back is held upright;
- The bar is fixed with your hands tightly;
- Lowering occurs smoothly in one motion;
- Lifting - also in one motion, pushing with the heel;
- You can do it one at a time with one and the other legs, and at first with one all the repetitions, then with the other;
- The back remains straight;
- Upon completion of the exercise, the projectile is fixed on racks.
- Setting the neck on a rounded thoracic back;
- Tipping shoulders forward;
- Lack of fixation of the neck by hand;
- Scrolling the bar while training forward;
- Lack of stability on the shoulders, leaning forward;
- Laying the abdomen on the thigh of the legs in front.
What muscles work
In different sources you can find information that this exercise is focused on the buttocks. But this is not so, the quadriceps are unbending the hip, the biceps of the hips are bending. Buttocks in this movement play an exclusively supporting role. They seem to “bring” the position of the body in this exercise.
Movement can be considered simpler than a lunge with a barbell or dumbbells. In the first case, the muscles of the back are loaded more, and it is necessary to bring the scapula and fix the back rigidly in order to perform the exercise correctly.
In the second case, it is required to hold the dumbbells with your hands, which requires tension of the trapezius muscles and forearms.
It is believed that fell in Smith less loads oblique and latissimus muscles, therefore it is more suitable for bodybuilding and fitness bikini, because this way it allows you to save waist size.
Exercise is performed alternately on each leg, which allows you to get a relatively optimal balance between loading the right and left half of the body. This contributes to a more harmonious physique.
It is believed that this exercise transfers the emphasis of the load from the back to the legs, and from lunges is the safest for the spine. In fact, those who have injuries should make Bulgarian lunges without weight, or lunges with minimal burden with dumbbells in their hands. It is worth monitoring whether axial load is allowed or not. If it is forbidden, lunging in Smith should not be done, just like with a barbell.
The quality of the exercise also depends on how the legs are attached to the hip joint. People who have X-shaped curved legs and narrow hips should not do exactly this variation of lunges. They should get around the movement with light dumbbells, and learn to moderate the knee to the side.
Lunges in Smith are technically simpler than the same barbell movement. If you need to perform a certain amount of work and not fall off, exercise is what you need. The approach is suitable for fitness, but it cannot be considered optimal for weightlifting and running. Here it is necessary to teach the beginner to keep the body from any position, and not fall from the rack, so you should minimize the number of lunges in Smith in the plan.
Continuing this exercise is also suitable, especially when it comes to bodybuilding. Those who do it can increase the load by increasing the working weights.
Lunge imposes requirements on the mobility of the shoulder, hip, knee and ankle joints. Therefore, before starting the exercise, it is necessary not only to conduct a general warm-up on cardiac equipment, but also to perform several flexions and extensions, or rotations in the target joints.
Then it is worth doing a series of lunges without burden, working out a balance for a start, and only then make an approach in Smith with an empty signature stamp.
Despite the fact that the simulator removes part of the load from the stabilizer muscles, you should learn to distribute the load so that the body does not fall forward and when doing a lunge it does not work out so that the entire load goes to the forefoot.
- The neck should not be placed too high on the neck, this does not help to emphasize the load, it only increases the risk of back injury;
- Exercise is recommended to be performed in deep gray, with complete bending at the knee joint. Best of all, if the athlete will fall almost until the knee touches the floor;
- The supporting leg can be turned inward, but the position of the working leg must be anatomically verified;
- You should not lead the toe of the “front” leg inward, as the authors of some guides recommend. It may not be safe for the hip joint;
- Before performing the exercise, you should check the floor, if it is slippery, lay a rug or cover, because the legs can easily move apart in movement;
- It is necessary to monitor the position of the body in terms of the lack of weight transfer only to the working leg. The supporting leg takes part of the body weight, it just does not repel it from the bottom point;
- It is not recommended to move until the knee hits the supporting leg on the floor, this can cause injuries;
- Work along the trajectory should be smooth, and should not overload the ligaments by excessive pushing of the knees in the opposite direction;
- The main emphasis is the heel of the working leg, the toe may come off the floor, but the heel must remain stable.
- Reduction of the knees of both working legs inward;
- The transfer of the center of gravity to the supporting leg, and the "collapse" of the body inward;
- Roll from heel to toe;
- Rounding of the back in both the thoracic and lumbar spine;
- Knee displacement inward;
- Trajectory slippage;
- The output of the front leg in such a way that it is not possible to make a lunge back amplitude, and the lower leg bends at an acute angle;
- Too long step, slippage and "stretching" of the legs in amplitude
- Many people with good mobility in the hip joint can perform this movement with great amplitude. They can raise the foot to the stand, and thereby increase the amplitude, to a greater extent to involve the buttocks and biceps of the hips.
- You can also play with the amplitude, lower the pelvis lower by moving the supporting leg, but this should be done moderately;
- In addition, you can add loads by using a shock absorber around the hips, and stretching it by completing the step
- Exercise is not recommended for any injuries to the joints of the lower extremities, as well as damage to the ligaments, inflammatory processes, and problems with cartilage and ligaments of the knee
- In addition, you do not need to do it for problems with the spine
This movement can be included in the training program for both beginner and professional. Beginners must master lunges back strictly after they learn how to do regular classic squats.
Because of their specificity, lunges in Smith are the first exercise in the beginner's plan and “finishing off” for more experienced athletes. Beginners should do the exercise in a mode of no more than 15 repetitions.
Lunges in Smith can be used in a mode of 8 to 15 repetitions, with a change of legs, with or without stepping back. This point is not fundamental, and depends on the athlete’s plan.
Lunges can also be used:
- After preliminary fatigue, that is, after several series of isolating movements on the hip biceps, and quadriceps, then they can be made with less weight;
- As the main, first exercise, and then it makes sense to use other ways to increase the load, for example, to increase the intensity by increasing the working weight
In the strength training of runners, powerlifters and weightlifters, exercise is limited. In these disciplines, alignment of the body and its fixation are required. Skill is easier to build with a high barbell than in Smith's car.
Exercise can be considered leading to lunges with a high barbell, movements are interchangeable. You can also replace a lunge in Smith with a lunge with dumbbells. Close in biomechanics is stepping onto the middle platform in Smith's machine, and stepping without burdening.