The calf and soleus muscles make up the muscular mass of the lower leg. In life, these muscles are constantly contracted when we walk, climb toes, wear high-heeled shoes. They are strong and hardy. That is why it is difficult to pump eggs, they do not develop using the usual amplitude of exercise and light weights.
Toe lifts work well if:
- Athlete provides sufficient amplitude. Just novice athletes can just get on their toes and develop muscles. For those who are constantly engaged, it is better to choose another option - climbing on socks up a step, a pancake from the bar, or a small platform or bar;
- Weight weights are selected significant. Ideally, an athlete should perform 10-12 reps with this weight. Therefore, it is most convenient to use the barbell in Smith's simulator, or the machine for hack squats, if there are no skills to stabilize the barbell weight
An array of calf muscles is the soleus and lower leg muscles, as well as the Achilles tendon. The appearance of the calves depends on the volume of the muscles, but the strength and amplitude of movement and the tendon, too. If you perform lifts, tendons and ligaments are involved.
The displacement of the socks makes it possible to load the muscle with accents:
- With a parallel stance, both muscle heads work the same way, and there is no emphasis;
- When staged, when the socks are already in heels, most of the body weight is taken by the external head of the muscle, but there is a high risk of overloading the ligaments of the ankle joint and trauma, therefore this option is good only for those who can keep their feet stable and not lose control of the muscles;
- If the socks are wider than the heels, you can work out the inner surface of the calves. This place remains problematic for many people.
This version of the exercise, as lifting on toes while sitting, is intended not so much for the calf muscles as for the soleus. This movement gives volume exactly in the center of the muscle.
Benefits and contraindications
For athletes of all sports where leg strength and power are important, these exercises are hard to overestimate. The shin is being worked out not only by powerlifters and weightlifters, but also by representatives of game sports where good jumping ability is needed.
It is important for those who seek to improve proportions to know that without the development of calf it is difficult to make legs slim. Men who have powerful hip biceps and quadriceps lose much in proportion if they do not shake their lower legs.
These movements help women to build visually thinner ankles, and graceful knees. In addition, developed calves help get rid of the pain that often occurs from walking in heels.
Contraindications for pumping calves:
- Serious stages of varicose veins;
- Achilles tendon injuries, joint dislocations, sprains, muscle tears
Technique of standing ups
Standing on toes is possible in Smith's simulator, Hack machine, as well as with free weights - barbell, dumbbells, sandbags, weights.
With a barbell
An option for those who know how to stabilize the core, and correctly keep the weight in the deadlift. If there is no such skill, it is worth learning, but for now - do exercises for the lower leg in the simulators.
In fact, there are two options with a barbell - with a barbell on the back and in straight outstretched arms.
In straight outstretched arms the technique is as follows:
- To stand up straight, raise the weight to the level of the pockets due to extension in the hip and knee joints, keep the weight a little wider than the hips;
- Then place the socks on supports or pancakes;
- Perform the required number of lifts in a natural movement, as if getting up on tiptoe;
- Get off the support;
- Lower the bar to the floor
If there is no way to keep the working weight with a direct grip or a “lock”, you can perform an exercise option when the working weight is taken on the back, as in a squat. You need to set the bar at a height that is accessible for squats, place your palms a little wider than your shoulders, step up, bend your legs at the knee joints and in one motion remove the barbell from the racks, move away from them, and place the socks on the pancakes. Then the required number of repetitions is performed, and the projectile returns to the racks.
This option is simpler for those who have problems with maintaining balance and stabilizing core muscles.
The option with dumbbells is done like this:
- To stand up straight, to raise dumbbells from the floor in one motion, as in a camp;
- Place them on the sides, the vultures are parallel to each other;
- Perform all repetitions of climbs;
- Remove socks from pancakes, move away, put dumbbells on the floor
The option on one leg with one dumbbell or pancake, and holding your free hand behind a vertical support (wall or simulator) is good for creating symmetrical calf, if the person has scoliosis, as well as for a variety of training.
A common plus of all simulators is the ability to perform exercises in more isolation, without "recoil" of the extra load on the muscles of the body.
The technique is as follows:
- Place weights on the back or shoulders;
- Remove the safety support of the simulator;
- Put your socks so that it is comfortable to lift;
- Perform the required number of lifts;
- Put the weight back in place and lock the safety stop
Sitting exercises work out the middle part of the lower leg more and use the soleus muscle. There can be two options for its implementation - in the simulator, or with free weights
In the simulator
Everything is simple:
- Adjust the height of the simulator stops so that the thigh is parallel to the floor when you are sitting;
- Remove the simulator from the lock, transfer the weight to the hips;
- Perform the required number of repetitions of toe lifts;
- Return the treadmill to a stable position.
With free weights
Weight will have to be placed on the hips. If the bar is used, you can put a mat so that the bar does not leave bruises on the legs. With dumbbells, it’s even easier - they use the help of a partner and place them on the hips.
The technique is as follows:
- Weight is placed on the hips;
- The athlete sits on a stable bench, you can set the back so that it is comfortable;
- Lifting on socks is carried out actively, the weight of the load is stabilized by hands;
- After the end of the movement, the assistant removes the weight from the athlete’s legs, or the athlete himself copes with this task
How many sets and reps to do
The training goal and weight weights determine the number of repetitions and approaches. Usually it is recommended to do more than 15 repetitions on the terrain in 3-4 approaches, on the “weight” - 8-12 repetitions with heavy weight, and on maintaining the fitness form - 12-15 repetitions.
Other sources indicate that caviar should always be pumped to failure, the only way will be to adjust their shape and add volume to them, because these are hardy muscles that need an increased load.
The number of sets must be selected individually. Some athletes do a lot of exercise involving the calf muscles. They squat a lot, pull and do not have to perform 4-5 sets of lifts on toes. This will lead, rather, to muscle depletion and a decrease in strength, and not to pumping and growth of volumes. For such athletes, 2-3 sets on the shins are enough.
Those who engage in classic bodybuilding programs need 3-4 sets.
Do not forget about the shins, and you will build a harmonious body, and protect yourself from injuries.