On the abdomen of each person there are 6-8 clearly identified fragments of the abdominal muscles. These are the very cubes that every aspiring athlete wants to get. If the percentage of fat is high - they are not visible, but they are always present. Exercise “lifting your legs while lying down” is aimed at accented study of the lower half of the press, although it involves it along the entire length of the muscle.
Performing leg lifts while lying on the floor is a lightweight option to raise your legs in the hang. Exercise can easily be done at home. No additional fixtures are needed for this. Therefore, it is a universal tool for maintaining the tone of the abdominal muscles in any circumstances.
Why are leg lifts used:
- To strengthen the abdominal muscles, especially their lower parts, at any level of physical fitness.
- To increase the strength indicators of the abdominal press and its endurance.
- Exercise has a therapeutic effect on the body. In particular, it is used as an element of the prevention of osteochondrosis and intervertebral hernias, and is also suitable for rehabilitation after abdominal abdominal surgery.
- As an element of morning exercises for children and adults.
Various execution techniques
We will analyze three options for raising legs lying down, designed for people with different levels of physical fitness:
- People with weak abdominals who want to strengthen it.
- Physically prepared people who want to make the press stronger and more prominent.
- Athletes who require an increased load.
For each category, we give one version of the exercise.
Alternate leg lift for beginners
Also, this embodiment of the exercise is indicated for osteochondrosis or recovery after abdominal surgery.
- Starting position - lying on your back, lower back pressed to the floor. The arms are extended along the body or in the lock behind the head.
- Beginners can raise their heads. Legs together. Raise one leg to an angle of 45-60 degrees, hold 1-2 seconds and lower it to its original position.
- When the heel of the first leg touches the floor, you can raise the second leg.
- Repeat the same for the second leg.
For beginners, it is recommended to do this exercise every day 1-2 approaches 10 times for each leg.
Watch your breath. Exhale at maximum load. That is, we raise our legs - exhale, lower it - we inhale.
To recover after surgery, it is recommended to bend the leg in the knee additionally so that there is no discomfort at the incision site. Gradually extend your leg until it straightens. Attention! After the operation, you must wait for the minimum time indicated by the doctor, after which you can do any physical activity!
During pregnancy, this exercise is better to cancel. Women should load their abs less than men. Excessively developed muscles can complicate labor.
Simultaneous lifting without weights
This exercise option is suitable for healthy people with an average level of physical fitness.
- Starting position: as in the previous case. That is, lying on his back, on the floor. Raising your head is not recommended, as this makes the exercise easier. Legs together.
- We start lifting both legs to an angle of 45-60 degrees, hold in the raised state for a pause of 1-2 seconds and lower it back.
There are two variations of the technique for this exercise:
- Lowering the heels to the floor. It’s easier to do this, because when you touch the floor your press rests.
- Without lowering the heel to a horizontal surface, leaving 1-2 cm to it. This is the most effective exercise option that keeps your abs in tension all the time.
It is recommended to perform 2-3 approaches, starting with 10-12 repetitions. For yourself, you can come to 30 repetitions in each approach. You should start with the first option, when the legs fall to the floor. After 1-2 weeks, you can go to the second option, when the heels of the floor do not touch.
If desired, the legs can be held in a raised position for more than two seconds (according to well-being).
Leg lift with weights
If your abs muscles are well developed and you need to increase the load, this option is perfect.
The technique is the same as in the previous exercise. The nuance is this: a weighting agent is attached to each leg (standard on the mounts). Alternatively, you can hold the dumbbell in your feet. Dumbbell weight is selected individually.
Lift your legs at an angle of more than 60 degrees or less than 45. The meaning of the exercise is lost. When the legs are raised higher, muscle relaxation occurs. Below - the muscles do not reach peak stress.
How to develop the strength of the press, pump up the volume of cubes and increase endurance
It should be understood that it is impossible to pump up at once both. To achieve each goal, tactics will be their own.
Strength and Volume
This exercise, in itself in solo performance, is not very suitable for creating a relief press. To achieve pronounced results, it is necessary to combine it with other exercises for the abdominal muscles. It can be:
Note that when doing abdominal exercises, in particular, leg lifts while lying down, volume and strength can be increased by observing the following rules:
- The number of approaches 3-4.
- The repetitions in each set are 10–12.
- We use maximum weights (such when you can do 10-12 repetitions with the correct technique, no more).
- Add loads. Do you feel that you can do more, and the technique will not suffer? We increase. Gradually, haste is useless!
Everything is much simpler here. We do the maximum possible number of repetitions in the supine position in the accelerated version. Two approaches are enough to expand the boundaries of the endurance of the press. We work through burning in the muscles.
How many times a week do you need to train
As a charge, 1-2 sets of 10 reps can be done daily in the morning. Without weight, start with alternately raising legs. Feel free to switch to simultaneous lifting. Do not use weights.
For the development of strength and cubes - enough 2 times a week. Remember, this is only one of several exercises, therefore, to achieve this goal, you need to perform other exercises.
For the development of endurance - you can train every day. And 2 times a week to do the maximum number of repetitions. On the remaining days, 2-3 approaches 30 times. For beginners, just 2-3 times a week is enough. Believe me, the effect will be noticeable.
Below are the most common mistakes most people make.
- Separation of the body from the floor after the legs. This exercise involves only raising the legs - the back lies on the floor.
- Lack of a rug, exercise on a cold floor. Neglecting this seemingly trifle, you harm your health. First, get a polymer soft rug. Secondly, ensure that there is no draft.
- Performing exercises in jerks. If you repeat the movements very quickly - you get a chaotic muscle contraction of the whole body. Inertia arises, on the extinction of which many necessary forces are expended. Observe speed limits.
- No delay in the raised state. This is acceptable if your abs is still weak. To increase efficiency, it is recommended to linger at the top point for 1-2 seconds.
- Throwing feet on the floor after lifting. Each movement should be carried out smoothly and under the control of muscles. When using weights, it is possible to obtain tension (in the case of the press, rarely, but it happens).
- Listen to your body. If it hurts, stop doing the exercise. Try another time. If it hurts another time, reduce the load. The back usually hurts when both legs immediately begin to lift.
- The angle of bending of the legs should be determined by your strength abilities and stretching. Strive for straight legs.
- If you have eaten, wait at least an hour. To engage in a full stomach is harmful and difficult.
As in any workout, the principle of gradualism should be observed when working on the press. If your body did not know physical activity before, start with the simplest option. That is, start with one leg lifts, and if you can do it easily, go on to raise both legs.
For a comprehensive study of the press, it is recommended to combine leg lifts with exercises in which the upper segment of the rectus muscle predominantly works.