The pull of the dumbbell to the chin makes less demands on the structure of the shoulder joint and can be performed by both beginners and professionals. It is often included in women's and teenage training. The exercise is more flexible in terms of the displacement of the load vectors, and allows you to pull the dumbbells not only directly up, but also along an arcuate path. Due to these changes, the athlete can both use the trapezoid and not. Many athletes prefer to adjust the technique and shift the load to the upper back.
- Get up straight, collect the shoulder blades and, due to flexion in the hip joint, remove the dumbbells from the racks;
- Take a vertical position, lean forward slightly due to flexion in the hip, if you plan to shift the emphasis to the upper back;
- Lower your arms vertically so that it is possible to pull the dumbbells up, without unnecessary movements
- On exhalation, traction is performed. This is a movement in the elbow joint, due to which the dumbbells go up so that the athlete works mainly with the middle bundle of the deltoid muscle. The position of the dumbbells in which there is no pain and discomfort in the shoulder joint must be found independently. Exercise therefore does not have a very good reputation because it is not just traumatic, but requires a thoughtful approach;
- The draft is a smooth movement of the dumbbells up, it is not recommended to jerk it and pull the shells up. At the peak voltage point, the projectiles must be held at the top;
- Perform the required number of repetitions, and put the dumbbells on the racks
- Lifting the shoulders and moving like a shrug switch the load on the trapezius muscles, so lifting is best avoided;
- It is absolutely not necessary to bring the shoulder to the ear in order to use the deltoid, it is worth working in medium amplitude and avoiding collisions in the shoulder joint. It can lead to pinching of the nerves and serious pain;
- Your wrists should remain in a neutral position. Their excessive bending can lead to pain in the joint;
- If during traction there is a tilt back, it is worthwhile to choose the weight of the dumbbells, and their optimal size, so that it is just convenient to lift. Constantly bending backwards can lead to lumbar overload and pain;
- Dumbbells should not be close to each other and collide, then the mechanics of movement will remain more natural;
- The press should be tense, the buttocks should be included in the work, the back should be strained, this will avoid swinging the body during the exercise.
- This movement does not serve to develop speed. It is best to perform traction controlled slow style, which would not contribute to a serious change in the position of the body;
- You should not choose such working weights that require cheating;
- It is best to avoid overloading and not to perform the exercise by pushing the dumbbells with your feet, inertia, or jerking with the trapezoid;
- An exclusively sophisticated technique can protect against subacromial collision syndrome. You should not raise your hands aggressively, as high as possible, or literally pull the concept to the chin. Many call this craving a chin pull, and come from it when they perform an exercise. This approach is categorically incorrect, the trajectory should not contribute to the occurrence of pain;
- No need to try to press your hands with dumbbells to the body, if in this position there is pain in the joint. When an athlete feels uncomfortable, his joint is overloaded, but he still wants to perform this exercise, it is worth sticking to the trajectory as if undermining, that is, to conduct shells slightly forward and away from the body
- The pull of one dumbbell . You can pull one dumbbell by the disc with both hands, or one dumbbell in turn. The first option can only be considered by people with narrow shoulders, flexible wrists and suitable strength. Usually these are teenagers and short girls. The second option is preferable for bodybuilding, as it allows you to achieve a symmetrical development of the muscles of both halves of the body;
- Dumbbell traction can also be carried out with different widths of the arms , which allows you to create a load on both the biceps, triceps and shoulders, and practically isolate the shoulder, turning it off from work.
What muscles work
- The main working muscle group is the deltoid massif. The front, middle and rear deltas should be loaded in this exercise, you need to understand that the front and middle deltas work more in it than the rear ones;
- Auxiliary muscles are the same as in the pull of the bar to the chin. The round muscles of the back, trapezium, the broadest, rhomboid. How stabilizers work the muscles of the cortex and legs.
Pros of exercise
- The main advantage is mobility and convenience in the selection of weights. Movement with dumbbells can do everything from almost zero level. The weight of the neck must still grow;
- Dumbbells are easy to buy home to train with them and get everything you need at home. An ordinary student will progress within a set of dumbbells of different weights for about six months;
- The movement with dumbbells is more healthy biomechanically, it can be considered more natural, since the bar does not fix the trajectory rigidly;
- In a variation with dumbbells, it is easy to make drop sets and supersets; for many people, shoulders respond well only to multi-plane work and require both the inclusion of upwards in the work and the use of rods in the protocol;
- There are dumbbells in any gym, you do not need to pick up and choose various options, so you can train according to plan anywhere;
- The movement easily fits into the format of any workout in a busy gym, as in almost any gym there are several dumbbell rows, and this makes the equipment convenient and affordable;
- In extreme cases, dumbbells can be replaced with discs from a barbell of small weight;
Preparation for execution
Exercise must be performed after a quality workout. It rarely goes first in the training plan, rather, it may be the second or third. But in any case, shoulder training requires serious preparation.
You must actively rotate your shoulders back and forth to warm up the rotator cuff and not get injured. This can only be achieved with conventional joint exercises, or you can perform exercises such as Cuban lifting or “scarecrow”.
Warm-up movements for the rotator cuff are also made with rubber. Then they take the form of leading the forearm along an arched path while standing. This simple movement allows you to get rid of pain in the shoulder joint, and stretch quickly and efficiently.
If the traction is performed by a person with an already active shoulder injury, he should first do a warm-up with rubber, which will mechanically remove parts of the joint from each other. It is necessary to attach the rubber shock absorber to the vertical support and perform hand rotations in small amplitude.
There can be one or even several warm-up approaches if a person tries to perform a movement with optimal heavy weight.
- Correctly it will not rock the case. A slight slope at the very beginning of the exercise and amplitude, and the execution of movement in one plane due to the strength of the muscles of the hands are allowed. If buildup is nevertheless necessary, it is worth considering the quality of the movement itself, the technique;
- It is necessary to carefully place the weight in the palm of your hand. Small distortions are allowed, but a complete shift of the weight in one part of the amplitude should not interfere with the exercise;
- Do not grab the handles "house", that is, shift most of the weight down;
- The exercise is performed at the usual pace, calmly, thoughtfully, without jerking and pushing the weight up;
- It is not recommended to pull the dumbbells to the ears, as shown in some aerobics videos. This exercise should not become a way to get out of the natural amplitude of the movement;
- Feet are stable on the floor, no tumble from heel to toe and vice versa;
- Contraction of the biceps, which leads to a shift in the load on this muscle group, is an unacceptable technique. Biceps are a little involved in movement, but you should not turn the lift on the shoulders into flexion at the elbow;
- To exclude from the movement of the trapezoid, you must unlearn how to raise your shoulders. If you can’t get rid of unnecessary movements, you should abandon large weights and learn to do work on small ones;
- The technique is easiest to track by the elbows, they should move along the same path and along the body, and not in different directions;
- Brush strain should be avoided. For many, dumbbells move down due to the use of gloves, and therefore the hands take an anatomically non-natural position, a person bends his hands and overloads his forearms. The easiest way to overcome this is to get rid of gloves;
- Sometimes wrist straps are used in this exercise in order to facilitate lifting, and this is justified, since the purpose of the movement is not to pump the forearm, and in terms of there may be many pulls that require constant inclusion of this area
- Violation of the trajectory of the projectile;
- Rocking the body, help legs;
- Hall of brushes;
- Hand push
If weights less than workers are used, it is worth training in a shortened amplitude, remove excess load due to the adequate position of the hands;
For those who can not turn off the trapezoid, it is recommended to start with minimal burdens;
The emphasis on the wall works well, if a person is accustomed to cheating, you should lean your back against the wall so that it does not interfere with raising your elbows
The program includes this exercise as the main or add-on. It all depends on the capabilities of the athlete and his physical development. Most do the exercise in 10-12 reps in 3-4 sets.
Although the movement is multi-articulated, by virtue of its nature, it is not very suitable for setting power records.
Do not create additional burden on the shoulders if there is any joint injury, cuff tearing or tearing.