Running exercises help to lose weight, improve the body and tighten muscles. If you cannot conduct intensive outdoor activities, try jogging on the spot in the apartment. After all, do you need to start somewhere?
Advantages, disadvantages, contraindications
We will evaluate the benefits and harms of “home” running. First, we will analyze the positive aspects of such classes:
- no sports equipment needed;
- you can do it in any weather;
- time saving;
- moderate load on the knees and spine;
- lack of constraint in front of others;
- free class schedule.
Disadvantages of home runs:
- low efficiency (compared to the classic run on the street);
- lack of fresh air.
Running at home is not harmful to the body, but simply less productive than street activities. In defense of home training, we note that it has many useful properties:
- cardiovascular system training;
- strengthening muscles, ligaments, tendons;
- digestion improvement;
- normalization of the reproductive system;
- losing weight;
- calming the nervous system;
- getting rid of depressive states;
- study of female problem areas (hips, buttocks, back of the hands).
Despite the “soft” effect on the body, running exercises at home have some medical contraindications:
- damage to the spine or joints;
- varicose veins;
- coronary syndrome;
- late pregnancy;
- recovery period after operations.
If you have health problems, be sure to visit your doctor. The question of the use of physical activity as a preventive measure is decided only by him. Otherwise, you risk worsening well-being and accelerate the progression of the disease.
According to statistics, Russia is in third place in the spread of hypertension. The disease is characterized by high pressure, at which damage to the cardiovascular system and other internal organs occurs. As a result, the risk of developing irreversible effects increases.
One of the methods for the prevention of hypertension is considered moderate sports loads. Running on the spot is suitable as physical therapy. It helps to dilate blood vessels, relax muscles and normalize blood pressure.
What muscles are involved
Like classic jogging in the air, running in place makes the whole body work. The load is received by the legs, abs, back, shoulders .
Due to the specific technique, the emphasis is on the shins (calf, sole) and thighs (quadriceps) . Thanks to this, the athlete gets the opportunity to make his legs slimmer.
Of course, we are not talking about any set of muscle mass. Running exercises in place help to adjust the shape of the lower extremities, giving muscle tone and reducing body fat.
Warm up before running in place
Warming up muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints is necessary before each workout. Firstly, it reduces the risk of injury. Secondly, it improves the body's susceptibility to stress. We offer an example of a simple warm-up for home training:
- Squats without extra weight (15–20).
- Lunges forward (15 on each leg).
- Rotations in the knee and ankle joints (20 times).
- Hand swings (20 times forward and backward).
- Tilts forward and to the sides (15–20).
- Jumping in place with high hips (10–12).
If you have a cardio machine at home (ellipsoid, stepper), replace the leg warm-up with 10 minutes of walking at a calm pace. This will be enough to warm up the whole body and prepare for the main part of the session.
Onsite Running Technique
The right technique is the key to the effectiveness of any exercise. The same applies to running elements. To keep your home training productive, follow these guidelines:
- Start with a simple onsite walk. High knees do not need to. The task of this stage is to smoothly enter the training mode. Continue for 2 minutes.
- Then move on to a light run in place. Keep your back straight. Try not to lower your heels to the floor, move on toes. When lifting your hips, also raise your opposite arm, bent at the elbow.
- Relax your shoulders, do not lean forward, do not lower your head. If it turns out, breathe through your nose, if not, use a mixed style (inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth).
- Some beginners make a gross mistake - they stick a sock on the floor. It harms the ankle and knee joints. Therefore, when moving, try to lower the foot gently.
- After completing the main part of the training, gradually lower the pace until you move on to the step. “Walk” on the spot for a couple more minutes to calm your heart and restore your pulse.
In home training, it is not necessary to use equipment and, in particular, sports shoes. You can practice barefoot or in socks. But be prepared for the fact that after class there will be pain in the toe of the feet. If this happens all the time, we recommend running in sneakers. Professional models with shock-absorbing soles are best suited.
How to reduce running noise
Sensitive neighbors can interrupt your running workout. To avoid this, follow these guidelines:
- wear shoes with soft soles;
- land exclusively on socks, leave your heels on weight;
- Use a special non-slip fitness mat;
- do it in the afternoon.
Do not forget to make noise in the evening is prohibited. Each region has its own legislative rules for maintaining silence. For example, in Moscow it is forbidden to interfere with rest of neighbors on weekdays from 23:00 to 07:00, and in St. Petersburg from 22:00 to 08:00.
How to diversify running on the spot
Music is a faithful companion of runners. To make your workouts more enjoyable, include your favorite tracks. It is desirable that the songs correspond to the rhythm of the lesson. So physical activity will be tolerated much easier.
If music does not stimulate you to move, you can turn on the TV. Note, smart broadcasts are undesirable to watch during class. The brain will try to simultaneously capture the meaning of the information and maintain the pace, which may adversely affect the training.
If you want to diversify monotonous running, periodically accelerate for 10-15 seconds. This will improve your lower muscular system. You can add jumps - pushing with one foot while lifting the opposite knee.
Experienced athletes are advised to complicate exercises with weights. Take lightweight dumbbells or put sand weights on your wrists and lower legs. Extra workloads will help increase calorie consumption and lose weight.
How to calculate mileage
Such a question is initially incorrect, since when running in place there is no movement in space. The important thing is not the length of the distance traveled, but the time the muscles were under load. The number of calories burned, the study of the lower body and the strengthening of the cardiovascular system depends on this.
On-site racing and fat burning
Any intense exercise speeds up metabolic processes and expend calories. Therefore, running on the spot is effective for losing weight.
A quick reduction in body fat while running is associated with calorie expenditure. Jogging in place allows you to burn about 250-300 kcal per hour of continuous training. For comparison, classic jogging helps spend on average 500 kcal in an hour. But those who study at home should not be upset. To increase energy consumption, use soft weighting materials or add special exercises to the lesson (about them a little later).
A few words need to be said about the duration of the running classes. For beginners in the first month we recommend training no more than 15–20 minutes. It is necessary that the muscles gradually adapt to the loads. After 4 weeks, gradually increase the training time to 30 minutes.
Experienced athletes should run for at least 40 minutes. This is due to the fact that the body first burns up glycogen reserves (the main source of energy for muscles) and only then proceeds with the expenditure of subcutaneous fat. Glycogen is enough for half an hour. Therefore, training for weight loss should last 40–45 minutes.
The number of classes is determined individually. Start with three workouts per week. If you do not feel tired on rest days, add another workout. The main thing is not to overdo it. Otherwise, you can reach a state of overtraining, which will negatively affect the results of runs.
Slimming processes start only with a calorie deficit. Actually, running on the spot is also needed to create a negative energy balance (when an athlete spends more energy than he receives with food). But physical activity alone is not enough. It is necessary to review the diet and refuse foods with a high glycemic index (bakery products, sugar, confectionery). The combination of low-calorie nutrition and regular running exercises will quickly get rid of extra pounds.
Consider the options for exercises, with which you can increase the load and fully work out the muscles of the lower extremities:
- Running with a whip . The athlete tries to touch the buttocks with the heel with each lifting of the foot. Exercise stretches the quadriceps well and loads the biceps of the thigh qualitatively.
- Running with high knees . When performing hips rise to parallel with the floor or higher. Exercise helps to increase the number of calories burned and increase the load on the hips.
- With swings of hands . The athlete performs a simple run in place and simultaneously rotates his hands forward. The element additionally strengthens the deltas and accelerates weight loss.
- Running in place while lying down . Exercise helps diversify your workout. In addition, during the performance, not only the muscles of the legs, but also the arms and abs are studied.
- Running on the platform . The exercise uses a step platform. The athlete moves energetically, rearranging the feet from the floor to the stand and back. Element speeds up calorie burning.
- Lateral movement with a run . The athlete takes quick short steps in place, shifts sharply to the side by a meter and again takes 3-4 running steps. Then repeats back. Exercise allows you to develop agility, mobility, speed.
Running and jumping
In addition to the elements discussed above, we recommend adding plyometric loads to the running training. For example, jumping rope can replace the warm-up or increase calorie costs by making two 10-minute approaches before and after running. By the way, when using a skipping rope, an athlete spends as many calories as when using a classic jogging (about 500 kcal / hour).
Jumping elements can be included in the lesson itself. We have already said that jumps help diversify the monotonous rhythm of training. In addition, using plyometric exercises, the athlete improves the development of the lower body. For example, jumping out of a lunge with a stretcher well loads not only the large muscles of the legs, but also the small muscles responsible for stabilization.
Which is better: running in place or a track?
A treadmill is definitely better, as it has many advantages:
- When moving on the simulator, the athlete performs full running steps, which increases the beneficial effect on the body.
- The track has the option of changing the load, which is necessary for gradual progression.
- The cardiac machine is equipped with additional functions that allow you to control the results and condition of the athlete: measuring the distance traveled, calories burned, pulse, etc.
- A variety of exercises are performed on the electronic track that well load the leg muscles.
- The variable load and the ability to fully run contribute to the rapid loss of excess weight.
Yes, the electronic track is an expensive projectile. If the purchase of such a simulator is impractical, then running on the spot will help reduce body fat and improve the appearance of the legs. Although it will take more time.