- Date of birth: January 30, 1974.
- Height: 183 cm.
- Weight: from 55 to 90 kg.
- Best films: “The Dark Knight: The Revival of the Legend”, “Prestige”, “Equilibrium”, “Terminator: May the Savior Come,” “American Psycho.”
Filming in the movie "The Engineer"
For the filming of the movie "The Engineer," Christian Bale got rid of a third of his weight, losing weight to 55 kg. The method is simple: a cup of coffee, an apple and a can of tuna per day (1) - 200-250 calories at a rate of 2500 . Result: a sharp loss of both fat and most of the muscles.
The break between the filming of The Machinist and the first scenes of Batman was only six weeks, during which the actor tried to restore shape and gain muscle mass as quickly as possible. As a result, he increased the weight to 86 kilograms.
Christian Bale Diet for Batman Filming
The actor needed to return the muscles very quickly, and the total calorie intake was almost 4000 kcal. Every day, he ate 350 g of protein, 500 g of carbohydrates and 70-90 g of fat. Training was as active as possible to minimize fat gain.
Christian Bale is a vegetarian and does not eat meat and poultry (2) . Sources of protein were fish, dairy products, eggs, as well as protein shakes . Meals took place every 2-3 hours - otherwise he simply would not eat so much in a day.
What program does Batman train for?
The program was based on variations of basic exercises involving several muscle groups in the work at once - both main and auxiliary. The goal was to activate the white muscle fibers responsible for explosive power.
Christian performed barbell lifting from the floor with pushing up, deadlift variation, jumping from a squat and an explosive bench press (3) . Exercises were performed at a fast pace, and training included a large amount of cardio loads.
The first day:
- Superset of pull-ups and block pull to the belt - 4 sets of 12 repetitions of each exercise. Designed for warm-up, light and medium weights are used.
- Lifting the bar from floor to chest - 4 sets of 10, 10, 8 and 6 reps. The lowest point of movement is the barbell on the floor; upper - to chest levels; the first part of the movement is like a deadlift, then the bar rises higher. Light and medium weights are used.
- Lifting the bar with pushing up - 4 sets of 10, 10, 8 and 6 repetitions.
- Sprint - 10 meters race in 5 sets, 30 meters in 5 approaches, 40 meters in 5 approaches. Rest between sets - 1 min., Between distances - 2 minutes.
- Bounce Squats - 4 sets of 10, 10, 8, and 6 reps. Squats with a sharp jump up from the lower point of movement, at the upper point of the legs are off the ground. To reduce the risk of injury, only a backpack loaded with weight is allowed, and not with a barbell.
- Lunges - 4 sets of 10 reps.
- Superset bench press lying in the stand of Smith and breeding dumbbells lying - 3 sets of 12 repetitions of each exercise. Designed for warm-up, light weight.
- The explosive bench press in the Smith stance - 4 sets of 10, 10, 8 and 6 repetitions. Bench press with throwing the bar up. It is carried out under the mandatory supervision of the insurer. Description below.
- “Ricochet” - each approach lasts 2 minutes, then 30 seconds. relaxation; in total - 30 minutes. On the floor are 2 squares measuring 30x30 cm. It is necessary to jump from one corner to another as quickly as possible, constantly changing the direction of the jump.
- Active recreation, which involves cardio-loads to increase blood flow in the muscles and accelerate recovery: swimming, ellipsoid, playing sports and more. In total no more than an hour on this day.
Days fifth, sixth and seventh:
- Repeat the first, second and third days.
How to do an explosive bench press?
Three important points: firstly, the exercise must be performed in Smith's stance; secondly, the control of a trainer or insurer is extremely important; thirdly, it is necessary to use light and medium weights, so as not to get injured.
Technique of exercise: lying in Smith’s stance, lower the bar to touch the chest, while straightening your arms, raise it sharply, push the bar at the top point and release it from your hands; then carefully accept, lower down and repeat the movement.
The secret figure of Christian Bale
Note that none of the exercises included in the program can be safely performed with heavy weights, which once again proves that a load sufficient for muscle mass growth can be achieved with average weights.
In addition, I would like to warn you separately from repeating the actor’s training methods - abrupt weight loss and further weight gain, repeated several times, are undoubtedly extremely harmful for both metabolism and health.
Christian Bale is an actor who, for the love of the profession, has transformed several times from a muscular superman to a hungry prisoner in a concentration camp and vice versa. But remember that such self-experimentation is clearly harmful.
- Christian Bale: Boy from the circus who was a star at 13, source
- Christian Bale's Fitness Workouts for Batman, The Dark Knight, source
- Celebrity Workout - Christian Bale Gets Super-Buff For 'The Dark Knight', source
- All rights to photographs belong to Universal Pictures Rus, Caro Premier, SR Distribution.