T-shaped push-ups - an exercise for a comprehensive study of the torso. If you want to strengthen your entire upper body, we recommend that you include this element in your training plan. Let's learn how to do t-push-ups correctly and figure out how to complicate a standard technique.
What groups work:
- The complex load during the execution is obtained by the pectoral muscles.
- When the body is pushed out from the lower point, the triceps muscles of the shoulder, the triceps, are worked out.
- In the upper position, when the body rotates 90 °, the deltoids of the supporting arm, as well as the abdominal muscles (rectus and oblique muscles of the abdomen) are tensed.
Advantages and disadvantages
T-push-ups help strengthen the torso, make it stronger and more mobile.
Exercise is useful to use both in aerobic and strength disciplines. For example, in tennis, the regular implementation of such push-ups will help to make energetic and sharp turns of the body when hit by a racket.
In addition to the development of muscle strength, the element has the following advantages:
- Posture correction. Performing push-ups with turning the body, the athlete gets rid of stoop and slight curvature in the back (we are talking about prevention, if you have scoliosis, consult a doctor).
- Losing weight. The exercise simultaneously involves several large muscle groups, which helps to reduce body fat.
- The formation of a sports relief. T-push-ups help to find beautiful outlined muscles of the chest, shoulders and arms.
- The development of thrust effort in the "base". The element allows you to improve the bench press, which is useful in bodybuilding and powerlifting.
The disadvantage of t-shaped push-ups is the inability to pump bulk pectoral muscles. In order for the muscles to grow, strength exercises with weights, for example, a bench press of dumbbells , are necessary.
The disadvantages of t-push-ups include some medical contraindications:
- injuries to the shoulder, elbow, or wrist joints;
- late pregnancy;
- recovery period after abdominal surgery.
Before performing, be sure to knead the joints of the hands with the help of swing and rotational movements. A good warm-up will prevent accidental injuries. Proceed:
- Take the starting position: lower yourself in the classic emphasis lying for push-ups.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles, slightly tighten your hips and buttocks, and straighten your back.
- With a deep breath, gently bend your arms and lower the sternum to the floor until it touches (if possible).
- Exhale and push the body, but do not stop at the top point, but raise one hand and rotate the body 90 °.
- Hold for 2-3 seconds, then slowly lower to the starting position and repeat the push-ups with a turn to the other side.
- Avoid sagging in the lumbar, keep the body stretched out in line.
- When making a turn from an emphasis lying down, try to exclude sharp jerky movements as they reduce the general efficiency.
- Monitor the negative phase (lowering). If you sharply relax your hands, you can hit your face on the floor.
- After taking the U-turn post, keep your supporting arm straight to the end.
- Perform the required amount of training. As a rule, these are 3-4 approaches of 12-15 repetitions on each side.
The following items allow you to increase or decrease the load:
- T-push-ups with coasters (3-4x4-12-15) . Place your palms not on the floor, but on the platform (plio-box, high skirting from the bar). So you will shift the load on the lower pectoral muscles. If you place the eminence not under your arms, but under your legs, the emphasis will be on the upper part of the sternum. The technique in both cases will be similar to the classical one. By the way, if you rest your feet in a fitness ball, you will additionally work out the small muscles responsible for body balance.
- T-push-ups with dumbbells (3-4x4-12-15) . Pick up small projectiles with flat faces. Take a starting position and do push-ups with a turn. Although the technique is similar to the classical one, due to weights it allows working out the abdominal muscles and muscles of the hands in a better quality. By the way, instead of dumbbells, you can use a short expander of a skier. Fasten the elastic band with the cuffs to the wrists and perform push-ups with a turn.
- T-push-ups with strap (3–4х7–8) . This version of the exercise is designed for high-quality training of the rectus and oblique muscles of the press. The technique is standard, but with one addition: at the top point, freeze in the position of the side bar for 12-15 seconds and tighten the abdominal muscles. During execution, make sure that the body remains elongated in one line. An element can be complicated with dumbbells or a rubber expander.
- T-push-ups against the wall (3-4–15–20) . The exercise is designed for beginner athletes and girls. The technique is simple: stand a meter from the wall, stretch out your hands, press your palms to a vertical surface and do smooth push-ups with turns. This method of implementation strengthens the arms and chest, but practically does not involve the abdominal muscles. To increase the load on the shoulders, do an exercise with light dumbbells.
360 ° push ups
The element helps to develop explosive pushing power of the hands. It is useful in many sports, for example, martial arts, crossfit, workout. Technics:
- Accept standard emphasis lying on straight arms.
- Press off in the classic technique.
- After that, lower your chest to the floor again.
- With a powerful jerk, toss the case and turn 360 °.
- Land in the palm of your hand and repeat in the opposite direction.
- When tossing your body with your hands, help yourself with the push of your socks.
- Necessary training volume: 3-4 sets of 8-10 turns in each direction.
Exercise is not suitable for beginners, as it is very demanding on the strength of the hands.
We recommend beginners to work out with light pushings of the body from the lying position:
- Take a push-up rack.
- As you inhale, lower your chest, then exhale powerfully push off with your hands and toss the body upright (socks remain on the floor).
- Return to the starting position.
When you learn how to make this element with a gap of 20-30 cm, go to push-ups with a rotation of 360 °.