When your veins expand and begin to appear under the skin, and pains appear in your legs, your lifestyle does not change for the better. Exercises for varicose veins of the legs will improve vascular tone, thereby alleviating the condition.
What is varicose veins
Varicose veins - a pathological (abnormal) phenomenon of expansion of the veins, as a result of which blue-red cobwebs and nets, or even tuberous nodes, appear on the surface of the skin.
If one of your relatives has someone with varicose veins, you have heard from them such an expression as “pulling veins”. As you know, through the veins of the legs, blood should rise up, overcoming the force of gravity. The heart pushes it there at each contraction, and special valves inside the vessel prevent the outflow of downward. They close after each heart beat and do not allow blood to flow down under the influence of its own weight.
With varicose veins, the walls of the veins expand and become thinner, the valves can no longer close, the correct movement of blood along the affected vessel is disturbed. Blood stagnates, blood vessels rise to the surface of the skin and become very noticeable. And the stronger the varicose veins, the harder and broader this picture will be.
At a certain moment there comes a “point of no return”, when the operation is no longer possible. But before that, you can help yourself with gymnastics and medication.
The most important thing is to protect yourself from the further development of varicose veins. First you need to figure out where it came from.
Causes of the disease
All the causes of vein expansion can be reduced to two: problems of the outflow of blood from the vessels of the legs and weak connective tissue in the walls of the blood vessels.
The first group of reasons can be eliminated quite simply, and the second is due to genetic characteristics and you can only come to terms with it.
The first group includes the following reasons:
- Pose "foot to foot" while sitting.
- Long unfavorable body position, such as squatting while working in the garden.
- Long work, standing on his feet.
- Injuries, systemic vascular diseases.
As you can see, most of these causes can be eliminated. In other words, exercises will be ineffective if you do not get rid of the habit of sitting with your legs crossed, or if you do not lose weight. If varicose veins are caused by genetic vascular weakness, do not despair. It’s just that your legs will need more attention.
So, let's find out what kind of load can be given to muscles in this disease, is it possible to do squats with varicose veins and what other exercises exist.
Exercise Varicose Fight
Physical activity is designed to improve blood flow in diseased veins. This is useless if the stage of varicose veins already requires surgery. But if the disease has just begun, exercise will be very helpful.
What can not be done
You must not work with weights. Forget about strength exercises , they will aggravate your condition. Excessive tension weak vessels can begin to burst.
Here are some questions from people with varicose veins, and the answers to them:
- Can I squat with varicose veins? You can squat with your own weight. But, if the exercises are hard for you, it’s better not to do this, even without a barbell. You can’t squat with a barbell for varicose veins.
- Can I do a bench press? You can, but with caution, it is better to wear special compression stockings. Caution should be exercised in exercises that directly involve the muscles of the legs, such as deadlift, squats, extension and bending of the legs. Here you have to limit yourself. You cannot work with weight while standing on your feet. Useful is a leg press with a small weight, since you are doing it in an inverted position.
- After training, the veins swelled, is it varicose veins? After visiting the gym, the veins become more pronounced, they are visible on the surface. But it should be distinguished from varicose veins of labor. In the latter case, the veins are pushed to the surface by the muscles, they are smooth, without nodes and nets. Usually they are large and single, bluish. Such veins appear on the athlete’s body in the area of the flexors of the legs, arms, chest, neck. This is normal. If the vein is red or purple, thin, knotty and bordered by a net - this is varicose veins.
- Aerobics is a light load. Can I deal with it with varicose veins? Unfortunately, during aerobics a person makes sharp movements, jumps. And this is better not to do. Although in the initial stages of varicose veins this is not important. The main thing is to remove the heavy load. But in the later stages, especially with thrombophlebitis, a sharp movement is dangerous by separation of the thrombus and catastrophic consequences.
You should be careful with everything that requires serious physical effort from you: these are strength exercises, running at speed, interval training.
What can and should be done
Exercises for the legs with varicose veins are characterized by a metered load. This is actually gymnastics for the joints. On the one hand, it causes the muscles to contract, and on the other, it does not cause strong tension. All exercises from varicose veins are aimed at increasing blood circulation in the legs.
The simplest of the leg exercises for varicose veins is working with the feet.
This exercise is done as follows:
- Sit or lie down so that your feet are above the knees.
- You can put a soft but resilient roller under your knees.
- Imagine that the tips of your toes are a brush. Draw an even circle with it. Drawing is carried out due to the movement of the leg in the ankle joint.
- Pull the sock towards you, keep pulling it when you reach the limit. You will feel a slight pleasant warmth in the calf muscle and its stretching.
- After that, stretch the socks, pull the heels down due to the calf muscle.
- Turn your feet outward, then towards each other.
- Try this exercise several times.
In other words, we actively rotate our feet, contract and relax our calves. Do it with your legs up. This technique allows you to stretch the muscles located below the knee, sitting on the couch, lying in bed.
A set of exercises for the whole body
The next activity combines a warm-up for muscles and joints of the whole body and stretching. It is a simple and safe complex that improves blood circulation throughout the body.
Head and neck
Describe with your head a circle 10 times clockwise and as many times in the opposite direction.
Try to drag on each lap. No need to do fast, stretch the pleasure. Feel the neck muscles work, enjoy it.
Then stretch your chin to your chest 3-4 times, as many times with the back of your head to the back.
We pass to the upper shoulder girdle.
Describe with your shoulders the circles back and forth. We draw a circle qualitatively and slowly, we pull the muscles!
Next, we begin to describe circles in the same plane with straight hands. Strong acceleration is not necessary, a sufficient speed of 1.5–2 revolutions per second. Evenly inhale and exhale, do not hold our breath.
Then we press our elbows to the body and draw a circle with brushes. That is, the arm rotates at the elbow.
And the last step - we compress our hands into fists and rotate them in the wrist. Next, knead the lower back.
Accept a pose "hands on hips". Start at the expense of the lower back to rotate to the maximum right and left 10 times. You can turn in a row, but you can immediately do it 10 times in one direction, then 10 in the other.
After that, tilt back and forth. Then turn the body clockwise and counterclockwise, the legs remain in one place.
Put your hands on your hips, describe a few circles only hips.
Do not forget that you need to work slowly at a constant speed.
Here you can sit down 10 times slowly and without extra weight. This is one of two possible options to give a load on your legs for you, because you cannot squat with a barbell, you cannot lunges.
The second option - leg press in the simulator with small weights. It will be more useful for you, since the work goes upside down, which is very good in case of varicose veins.
The rest of the leg exercises are various swings that do not burden the calf.
To the press
For training the press, exercises that are performed lying on the floor on the fitball will come in handy. It is not recommended to do a leg lift in the hanging, on the horizontal bar, since at this moment the blood may stagnate in the diseased veins.
Lying on your back, do a leg lift (two or separately) on the abs, exercise bike.
Twisting in various techniques is also safe while lying down.
Swimming is an excellent form of physical activity for varicose veins. This is useful for the muscles of the legs, and for the nervous system, and for the heart, and for immunity. Truly a great activity!
If we summarize all of the above in the form of brief recommendations, they will look like this:
- Perform exercises with varicose veins, practice long walks in comfortable shoes.
- Do not stay in one pose for a long time, get rid of the habit of sitting “leg over foot”
- Control your weight.
- Lead an active lifestyle to improve blood circulation
- If you have a predisposition to varicose veins, all heavy physical exertion must be performed in special tight anti-varicose stockings!
- After exercise, allow blood to flow freely from the legs. This is especially true for girls. Lie on a bed or sofa, press your heels against the wall. You need to lie so that your feet are above your head. If you decide to take a nap for an hour or two, put rollers under your heels and knees. Keep your feet so that they are above the body. This will help the outflow of blood from the lower extremities.
- Use in cardio exercises. This will improve well-being and strengthen the cardiovascular system.