Gluteal bridge with a barbell - an exercise to work out the biceps of the thigh and the entire mass of gluteal muscles. The movement was brought into use by the American coach Brett Contreras, who was nicknamed the “buttock guru” in social networks. Meanwhile, in strength training, this exercise was known long before Brett, and was performed not only by bodybuilders, but also by weightlifters and powerlifters. The exercise is called “hip extension”, oddly enough, and is classified as the only fully pelvic-dominant movement in the Westside system. So, the gluteal bridge belongs to phytonyaches in aggregate, and even more so, it was not even invented for fitness bikini training, as some authors believe today. But this does not prevent the bridge from remaining the best exercise both for developing the strength of the “back chain” and for pumping the buttocks.
- You need to install a sturdy bench on the floor so that it does not slip back. You can put pancakes and push them against the wall, or put heavy weights to the legs of the bench. In extreme cases, partner assistance is required to hold the projectile in place;
- Collect the bar of the right weight so that the bar does not press on the hips to use either a towel or a rubber mat;
- Sit on the floor so that the bar is under the legs and centered relative to the body;
- Roll the projectile on the hips, and install it on the bend of the hip joint;
- Do not lay the bar on the joint itself;
- Rest your feet on the floor so that the shin is perpendicular to the floor;
- Tear your hips off the floor and buttocks too
- The main movement is the extension of the hip, that is, the extension of the thigh into a plane parallel to the floor, and full straightening in the hip joint;
- You need to push your feet into the floor, and bring the hips parallel to the floor plane due to the extension of the joint;
- After that - gradually lower back to the starting position.
- This is not an exercise to increase the mobility of the vertebrae. The back remains as flat and stable as possible, which helps protect both the thoracic and lumbar spine;
- First you need to work out the movement on small scales;
- If you can’t take the initial one on your own, you need to ask for the help of a partner, but going out on half-extended legs is quite dangerous for the hamstrings and ligaments;
- Do not go too far or too close to the bench, you need to control your body position
- If there is such an opportunity, use the help of an assistant in this exercise, it is often difficult to place the projectile on your hips yourself;
- Stops should not move around the perimeter of the floor, it is also better not to allow exits to the heels;
- The bench is individually selected for height, if it does not fit, it is worth placing pancakes under the legs;
- The barbell can be taken in two ways
- Serving by two assistants over the edges if the weight is heavy;
- Lifting with a barbell lying on the floor . This option loads the back a little more, but it is more stable and safe for those who have problems with the lower back. The barbell rolls over the hips in the same way as the previous version of the exercise, but the athlete performs a rise with access to the shoulder blades and reverse lowering, and the hips take an angle of 30 degrees to the floor;
- Lifting with support on one leg, and with a dumbbell. This variation can be performed with or without a bench, it is worth using a dumbbell with a long bar, or you can use the barbell, but shift the center of gravity. Exercise allows you to make the body more symmetrical;
- Option with a barbell and rubber shock absorber around the knees . It allows you to raise the middle buttocks and give the muscles the same “convex” appearance that is sought in some bodybuilding disciplines and in women's training. It is carried out similarly to the classical one, but the shock absorber will need to be stretched by the knees, directing them to the sides
The gluteal bridge may also be the only basic exercise when it comes to training specialized for bikinis. Then it is performed by the first movement in the training, and can be in the mode of 8 to 12 repetitions. This embodiment of the gluteal bridge is intended for hypertrophy. The weight of the bar should be heavy enough.
If it comes to shaping, or drying, less severe variations of the exercise are possible, for example, with a barbell of average weight and in a mode of 15 or more repetitions. In this case, shock absorbers are often used.
The movement can and should be performed in the power mode, for 6-12 repetitions, if we are talking about training for the development of strength.
It is generally accepted that this exercise is almost the safest for the knees, but it is not. The load goes to the anterior cruciate ligaments in the same way as with a regular squat, so people with knee injuries should refrain from the bridge with the barbell either.
Naturally, it is impossible to make a bridge for diseases of the hip joints, as well as for gynecological diseases in women, as pressure is created in the pelvic organs. In such cases, movement can be replaced by exercise without weight in statodynamics.
Gluteal bridges can not replace other exercises for the legs and buttocks, and are used as the only basic only if the person basically does not want to swing the quadriceps. In other cases, it is worth abandoning the one-sided approach and deal more harmoniously.