What is a fat burner?
Fat burners are sports supplements designed to reduce body weight and “burn fat” by speeding up metabolism. At the same time, completely different drugs fall into the category of fat burners - from caffeine and appetite blockers to diuretics to remove water from the body.
When choosing the best fat burner, you need to remember that thermogenics show the greatest effectiveness for losing weight. However, taking thermogenics quite often causes a number of unpleasant side effects (excessive sweating, insomnia and irritability). That is why the "universal" best fat burners simply do not exist.
Caffeine (including options such as guarana ) is the most popular ingredient in fat burners . Their use can speed up the metabolism, reduce appetite and increase the overall level of activity, indirectly affecting the amount of calories burned by the body and weight loss. However, the minus is that tolerance is quickly developed to caffeine.
Fat Burners - Contraindications
Since the principle of the work of thermogenics and fat burners is most often based on stimulating the nervous system, such sports supplements are strictly prohibited for those with autonomic or cardiovascular diseases, as well as high blood pressure. In simple words, if you do not avoid coffee, fat burners are definitely not suitable for you.
Very often, taking thermogenics disrupts sleep, increases nervousness, excitability and anxiety. In fact, sports fat burners can easily provoke both chronic insomnia and panic attacks. In addition, most thermogenics are categorically incompatible with antidepressants or drugs that affect serotonin levels.
Best fat burners - 2019 ranking
Separately, we note that Fitseven does not cooperate with manufacturers of the following sports fat burners and thermogenics. This rating is not an advertisement - it is based solely on reviews from experts and our readers. We are in no way interested in promoting any particular brand of fat burner.
- Animal Cuts (Universal Nutrition). The most powerful thermogenics available on the market. It contains 200 mg of caffeine (equivalent to three servings of espresso), extracts of guarana, mate, green tea, as well as extracts of plants that remove water from the body. The supplement can affect the production of thyroid hormones and can enhance blood circulation.
- Hydroxycut Hardcore (MuscleTech). The advantage of this fat burner is that it contains only a small list of really active ingredients, which reduces the risk of side effects. The key in its composition is yohimbe extract, similar in action to ephedrine (a substance with a strong fat-burning effect).
- EpiBurn Pro (USP Labs). The composition of this additive repeats as much as possible another product of the same manufacturer, the fat burner OxyElite Pro , recalled from the market after a series of deaths provoked by it. However, the most effective ingredient, DMAA (known as "geranium extract"), is no longer included, being banned.
- Lipo 6 Black (Nutrex). Despite the fact that the updated version of the formula of this fat burner still contains caffeine and yohimbe extract, the manufacturer abandoned the ingredients to stimulate the synthesis of thyroid hormones. In addition, the dosage of thermogenics and other active substances of the formula is significantly reduced.
- LeanMode (Evlution Nutrition). One of the few fat burners that do not contain thermogenics and stimulants of the nervous system. Its key ingredients are CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) and L-carnitine, considered the safest (though not as effective) fat burning supplements.
Are fat burners dangerous?
Despite the fact that fat burners seriously affect the functioning of the body and change the metabolism, they are never tested for combination with other drugs or for influencing a person’s disease. In the USA, permission to sell a fat burner is issued after a formal check for the absence of poisons and toxins in the composition.
Since thermogenics belong to the category of dietary supplements, and not medicines, their effect also does not require any medical confirmation. Among other things, manufacturers of such supplements like to regularly change the formula of fat burners or use substances with complex names, misleading an inexperienced buyer.
Powerful and safe fat burner
It can be said unequivocally that 90% of fat loss products sold in sports nutrition stores are dummies containing only caffeine and its analogues. Really powerful thermogenics are banned for sale in Russia and most European countries, as they often contain large doses of plant-based amphetamine analogues.
In this case, supplements based on L-carnitine, although they belong to the category of safe fat burners, but, in fact, are not able to affect the burning of fat. Scientific studies show that carnitine can only "normalize" the metabolism of a number of people, indirectly affecting the acceleration of the exchange of free fatty acids during training.
Fat burners and thermogenics, despite the apparent safety, are quite serious drugs with a list of contraindications and various side effects. Fearing regulatory authorities, most manufacturers of sports nutrition produce “dummies,” relying on inexperienced and gullible customers.