If a person who comes to the gym has a clear goal - to build muscle, one well-designed training program is not enough. It is necessary to approach the construction of the diet correctly. Protein food should prevail in the menu, since it is protein that acts as the main element necessary for building muscles .
Nutrition for Muscle Growth: Basic Principles
The energy spent by a person, made up by eating food, is directly proportional to physical activity. Strength training requires several times more energy than normal human activity. And if you reduce the diet, the body will begin to experience a lack of nutrients. This will negatively affect both well-being and the result of classes.
To follow a diet to increase muscle mass is not to starve, but, on the contrary, to consume more calories than energy was expended. This fact should not be taken as the only condition for such nutrition. A diet promoting muscle gain should be balanced, based on six basic principles:
Eat a lot, but in small portions throughout the day. This contributes to the rapid absorption of food in order to obtain energy, and not for the accumulation of body fat. Eating fractionally, the athlete gains muscle, not fat mass.
Each meal you eat should be high in calories. The lower the energy value of food, the more often you will have to eat. About 70% of the daily diet compiled by the nutrition program must be composed of high-calorie foods.
Slow Fats and Carbohydrates
From the menu you need to exclude fast carbohydrates and fats - sweet fruits, pastries and flour products. They require a long time for digestion, which leads to the buildup of fat, and not energy. The body does not have time to spend most of the nutrients extracted from fast carbohydrates and fats for the renewal of the spent energy, but sends it to “storage”, that is, to the fat depot.
A diet for muscle gain accelerates metabolism, introduces the body into a stressful situation, which can be avoided if the drinking regimen is observed. At least three liters of water should be drunk per day. Failure to comply with this paragraph can lead to dehydration, expressed by deterioration of well-being and stunted muscle growth.
Servings before 16.00 should be a large part of the daily diet. At a later time in the diet, foods with fast carbohydrates and fats should be avoided.
Means obligatory intensive training. Otherwise, all consumed calories will turn into fat, and not into lean muscle mass. On training days, you must eat 2 hours before and after training. The acceleration of the muscle growth process is facilitated by the additional intake of sports supplements.
Fats, proteins, carbohydrates: daily intake
A balanced diet is the main condition for success in following a special diet for building muscle mass. This can be achieved by following the principle of the inverted pyramid, which determines the ratio of nutrients in the diet:
- carbohydrates - from 55 to 60%
- proteins - from 25 to 30%;
- fats - from 10 to 20%.
Compliance with this rule requires an accurate calculation of all the substances consumed per day. This makes it possible to get more calories than is spent on performing strength training. Excess goes into muscle mass.
To calculate the caloric content of the daily norm, it is enough to use the following formula: "athlete's weight" is multiplied by "30", plus "500" to the result. It should be borne in mind that the ratio of these elements for both men and women is different.
- Squirrels . Some amino acids are synthesized in the body, other compounds are replenished from consumed food. And in order to ensure a sufficient amount of protein per day, it is necessary to include protein-rich foods in your diet, for example, meat, milk, fish. The need for a substance is calculated by multiplying its own body weight by two. If an athlete weighs 80 kilograms, then a day he needs 160 grams of protein.
- Fats. Should be reduced, but not completely excluded. Without them, the body will not be able to function normally. The daily rate is determined by age. Men under 28 need 130-160, under 40 - 100-150 grams. At a more mature age, the amount is reduced to 70 g / day.
- Carbohydrates . They are simple and complex. The former do not represent any value for muscle mass, and the number of consumption of the latter per day should be at least 500 grams
- Squirrels. The lack of this element negatively affects the appearance of the fair sex. Deficiency leads to deterioration of the skin, hair structure, nail plate. Girls, unlike men, need to consume 1.5 grams of protein per 1 kilogram of their own weight.
- Fats. The need for this substance is also due to age. Up to 28 it is 86-116, up to 40 - 80-111, after 40 years it is reduced and amounts to 70 grams per day.
- Carbohydrates. To increase muscle mass, girls need to consume at least 400 grams of slow carbohydrates.
Allowed and Prohibited Products
Absolutely any dietary food, including for increasing muscle mass, involves the inclusion in the diet of products that allow you to fully provide all the nutrients necessary to maintain normal functioning. To this end, athletes can eat both regular food and special supplements.
Along with food useful for gaining muscle mass, there is one that needs to be excluded from the diet. It does not bring the body any benefit, is deposited in the fatty layer. The list of prohibited foods includes the following product groups:
- fatty meats, sausages and sausages, ham;
- food industrial products containing dyes, flavor enhancers, preservatives and other chemical additives;
- any types of spread, natural butter, mayonnaise, margarine;
- sweet pastries, sweets, cakes and so on;
- salted, pickled, smoked food.
Protein-rich foods for increasing muscle mass include:
- Chicken or turkey fillet . You need to consume from 150 to 200 grams of this dietary meat per day.
- Dairy products with a low fat content. It can be yoghurts and milk.
- Cottage cheese and egg whites. The first, along with protein, also contains valuable trace elements. Eggs, for obvious reasons, become a source of protein only without yolk.
- Sea fish . Salmon, tuna and so on contain the most important omega acids for humans.
- Cereal crops. Wheat must be consumed sprouted, and whole-wheat flour bread, raw or fried sunflower seed. You can eat lentils and buckwheat.
They allow you to get the required energy reserve for training. The amount of carbohydrates is reduced only for the purpose of losing weight. People who are gaining muscle mass, on the contrary, need to include the following sources of carbohydrate in their diet:
- brown rice containing more carbohydrates than white;
- unsweetened fruits , reducing the consumption of grapes, pears, bananas;
- vegetables , including greens and garlic;
- pasta made from durum wheat;
Fatty acid intake is recommended to be reduced, but not completely. Otherwise, the diet will not be balanced. Especially the deficiency of fatty acids affects the appearance of girls.
The optimal need for fats is compensated by the use of:
- Brazil and walnuts;
- hazelnuts, almonds, cashews;
- apple puree pastilles;
Weekly Menu Example
Designed specifically for skinny ectomorphs by nature. It involves six meals a day. Servings should be small so as not to overeat and not to feel hungry. The result of such nutrition can be seen after a month.
Diet to increase muscle mass
|1||Oatmeal, nuts, apple.||Potatoes, chicken, vegetables.||Cottage cheese and banana.||Fish, rice, vegetables.||Tuna with vegetable salad.||Fruit salad.|
|2||Orange, nuts, buckwheat porridge with honey and milk.||Boiled pasta, baked veal, vegetables.||Whole grain bread, kefir.||Cottage cheese with honey, kiwi.||Baked mackerel, vegetable salad.||Strawberries, yogurt, peanut butter.|
|3||Oatmeal, banana, apple, nuts.||Potatoes, low-fat veal, vegetables.||Brown bread, scrambled eggs, apple.||Milk and fruit smoothie.||Turkey fillet, rice,||Jam, cottage cheese.|
|4||Rice porridge in milk, nuts, apple.||Vegetable soup, veal.||Whole grain bread, kefir.||Fruit salad.||Turkey fillet, baked potatoes.||Vegetable salad.|
|5||Chicken fillet, scrambled eggs, vegetables.||Potatoes, low-fat veal, banana.||Apple, cottage cheese with jam.||Fruit smoothie.||Chicken fillet with vegetable stew.||Strawberries, yogurt, peanut butter.|
|6||Nuts, banana, oatmeal.||Chicken fillet, potatoes, vegetables.||Kefir, whole grain bread.||Kiwi, cottage cheese with honey.||Baked mackerel, buckwheat porridge, vegetable salad.||Fruit salad.|
|7||Chicken fillet, omelette, vegetables||Veal, vegetable salad, apple.||Banana, cottage cheese with jam.||Fruit smoothie.||Chicken fillet, rice, vegetables.||Vegetable salad.|
A complex schedule or lifestyle does not always allow you to eat up to six times a day. And if such a problem exists, various supplements can come to the rescue, which help fill in the “gaps” in nutrition.
Such sports nutrition include:
They contain a large amount of carbohydrates. They make it possible to compensate for the lack of calorie content of the menu, accelerate the processes of protein assimilation. To exclude a set of unwanted mass, you need to drink it 60 minutes before classes, and then after training.
Protein supplement involved in the process of building muscle mass. It does not interfere with the gainer, they are consumed an hour before training.
It holds water in muscle tissue. Drinks forty minutes before physical activity.
Be sure to take care of a sufficient amount of vitamins. They not only increase the digestibility of nutrients, but also are the prevention of intestinal malfunctions.
Drying the body with increased muscle mass
In order not only to increase the volume of muscles, but also to dry out, the diet is tightened. All sources of fast carbohydrates are excluded from the diet. No cakes, muffins, sweets or sugar-containing foods.
You need to eat not six, but from seven to nine times. This will eliminate the accumulation of fat mass. It is highly recommended to use vegetable fats instead of animals.