The bench press in the simulator is a universal exercise with which you can pump the upper and middle parts of the chest, shoulders, triceps. On the one hand, this is an imitation of a bench press, on the other - a barbell bench press at different angles and even a bench dumbbell bench press. And all this is possible, thanks to the variation of simulators for bench press (from Hammer to Smith).
What simulator to take?
Let us explain that the choice of a simulator (or agree that we will continue to talk about the angles of the force vector relative to the floor) depends on which muscles you want to pump.
In this article, we will review the most important techniques in various simulators:
- For breast pumping, you need to choose a simulator that simulates a bench press. Usually this device with a seat, backrest at right angles to it. Handles that will need to push away from themselves (press) are located at the bottom of the chest. Exercise is more like a bench press , although the palms are in a straight position.
- To work with the shoulders, you will need a hammer and a Smith power trainer. In the hummer, you can pump the front bundle of deltoids. This is a good option after a classic bench press and bench press on an incline bench .
- In Smith, you can do bench presses at different angles, as well as sitting bench press (when you squeeze it vertically up, leading behind your head or chest).
Thus, the choice of a simulator will directly depend on what you want to pump today. And, of course, from what simulators are available in the gym to which you came.
Simulator for bench press
Do not forget to do high-quality workout, warm up the joints. Next, hang a small weight on the simulator (20-30 kg is enough for men, 1-5 kg for girls - it depends on physical fitness). This will be a warm-up approach.
- If the simulator has the option of adjusting the seat, backrest - adjust everything for yourself. It is necessary that you sit on the chair of the simulator, firmly pressing the body to the back. If your lower back is far from her, this is the wrong position.
- Sit and bend your lower back forward, straighten your shoulders, take a deep breath and exhale. Tune in to breathe correctly: exhale during a jerk, inhale to return to the original.
- Grasp the handles for your convenience. If the simulator has an auxiliary pedal for lifting weight, press it with your foot - this will help to raise the handles to the starting position. If this is not provided, lift the weight by hand.
- Push the handles with the force of the pectoral muscles, shoulders and triceps, exhaling air. Now lower the weight back by inhaling. You can’t hold your breath, do not forget about it!
- Repeat the movement 10-15 times without haste, thoughtfully. It was a warm-up approach.
Now set the desired weights and do 8-12 repetitions in 3-4 approaches, or in other combinations, depending on your program.
Hammer simulates a barbell or dumbbell bench press at different angles, usually 45 and 60 degrees. This simulator will help you pump the upper chest and front deltoids.
It has a device (pedal) to bring the weight to its original position. Set light weights to warm up.
- Adjust the seat height so that in the initial position the hammer handles are at the level of your shoulders, and your hands do not "wring" back. If the seat is too low, your elbows will go very far back. From this situation it is very difficult to start a repeat.
- Help your foot lift the weight by depressing the special pedal.
- After the handles are back to the starting position, squeeze them with your hands (you can not straighten your arms completely so that the elbow joints do not snap in - leave a slight angle between the forearm and shoulder).
- Lower the weight back to a physiologically comfortable position. Repeat this movement 10-15 times - the warm-up is over. On the rise, do not forget to exhale through the mouth. Inhale the air through the nose, lowering the weight.
- Help lower the weight to its original position using the special pedal.
Set the working weight and do 8–10 reps in 3-4 sets.
Bench Press and Smith Trainer
The bench press sitting in the Smith simulator is an exercise on the shoulders and upper chest. We will analyze both options.
Bench sitting at an angle
Place the reclining bench under Smith's fingerboard. Position it so that when you lay on the bench, the bar is at the level of the middle of the pectoral muscles. Set the back angle to 45 degrees. This position is also called sitting. Hanging so far does not need anything, initially the neck weighs 20-25 kg, which is just right for warming up.
- Sit on a bench, press the top of the buttocks to the bottom of the back. Bend your lower back forward, flatten your shoulder blades, straighten your shoulders. Press the back of the head against the back of the bench.
- Grip the bar with a wide grip (palms wider than shoulders). Usually there are risks on the neck that you should be guided by. You can do this: find the risks located closer to the edges of the neck, and place the ring or middle fingers on them. This makes it easier to achieve a symmetrical grip. By the way, the grip is straight.
- Remove the bar by turning it to remove the clips.
- Gently lower it onto your chest. The bar should be located between the shoulders and the pectoral muscle. This is the correct position. Lower it as far as possible, stretching the front deltoids and pectoral muscle.
- Lift up as you exhale, repeat 10-15 times. The warm-up is over.
Now set the desired weights and do 8-10 repetitions in 3-4 approaches. If you can not squeeze the last repetitions, turn the bar in a critical position: it will lock. Or ask a friend (trainer) to insure you.
There is a nuance - it’s convenient for someone to crank the bar from yourself, to someone - to yourself. Experiment how convenient it is for you to do it. Because at a critical moment, when you need to fix the bar, you may not be able to do this. That is, if you are not comfortable turning in one direction, turn the bench 180 degrees.
Bench sitting upright
In this case, the bench press in the simulator is an imitation of the bench press sitting on your shoulders. It is necessary to install an inclined bench under the bar, which should be strictly above the seat (preferably in the middle). Adjust the height of the bar so that in a sitting position it is at the level of the crown.
We will lower the bar behind the head, so make sure that the position of the bench allows this to be done.
- Grasp the bar with a direct grip, lift it up. The grip is slightly wider than the shoulders, be guided by the risks on the neck (they are located exactly where the free neck is).
- Do not forget that this is a warm-up. This option is not suitable for girls, the weight is too large, it is better to swing the shoulders in a different way. Therefore, we recommend a bench in Smith for men. Raise and lower the empty bar 10-15 times. The warm-up is over.
We hang pancakes, we perform 3-4 approaches in 8-10 repetitions.
How best to combine exercises
We offer the following scheme, which allows you to combine the bench press in the simulator with other exercises. It doesn't matter how many times a week you train. More importantly, what you will do specifically at today's training session.
If you were doing classic bench presses, you can add a hammer and a bench press at an angle in Smith. In addition, you can make an imitation of a classic bench press in a simulator with low weight as a “finishing” of the pectoral muscles.
If today is shoulder day, do a vertical bench press while sitting.
On triceps day, if you do not have heavy bench presses, we recommend working in a hammer, Smith and a bench press simulator with light weights, as an easy workout.