The desire to get a sporty V-shaped silhouette of the figure makes men look for ways to expand the chest. Consider exercises aimed at increasing breast volume and increasing muscle mass.
Recommendations for men over 25
Human bones increase in length up to 25 years. After this, growth zones are closed, and the skeleton becomes final in size.
Having overcome this age limit, it is useless to try to expand the chest by stimulating the growth of ribs or stretching the cartilaginous inserts.
Therefore, men over 25 years old who want to increase the girth of the chest, need to focus on building chest muscles. The following exercises are better suited for this:
The training program should include strength exercises for the lower body and back:
These elements stimulate testosterone production, which helps build muscle throughout the body. The preferred training program is a three-day split (legs, chest, back) . Particular attention should be paid to high-calorie nutrition and full recovery.
Exercises for young athletes
It is better to deal with an increase in chest volume up to 20-25 years. During this period of life, a large amount of growth hormone and testosterone is produced in the male body. High hormonal levels in combination with specific exercises are ideal conditions for increasing bone and cartilage tissue. We will analyze the effective elements that contribute to the expansion of the breast.
The effectiveness of the exercise is based on the creation of hyperventilation of the lungs, which with prolonged exposure to the body allows you to gradually stretch the cartilage cuffs between the ribs and sternum. Breathing squats without weight do not create the required load, so the barbell is used in the exercise.
In addition to hyperventilation, breath holding at the end of the negative phase of the squat and at the beginning of the positive has a positive effect on breast expansion. Delay increases abdominal pressure, which helps stretch the chest cartilage.
The rest of the breathing squats with a barbell have a classic technique.
Consider the technique that Randall Shtrossen described in his book - a famous athlete and author of several well-known works on power disciplines. The system is based on the implementation of breathing squats:
- Take a good look: do 2 sets of 15 squats with an empty bar on your shoulders. Then warm the joints of the legs with rotational movements.
- Install the bar on racks (weight - 70–75% of your maximum).
- Remove the projectile from the stops and move away.
- As you inhale, start crouching, but after half the amplitude, hold your breath.
- Having lowered to the lowest point, immediately begin to get up. In this case, exhale only in the upper phase of the ascent.
- With your legs fully extended, take three sharp breaths and exhale. This is the main feature of breathing squats for expanding the chest. After each repetition, you need to take three breaths and exhale.
Shtrossen recommends performing at least 3 sets of 20 reps. The technique allows not only to increase the volume of the breast, but also to build muscle throughout the body.
At one time, such squats were performed by Joseph Curtis Hayes, an athlete whom some sports historians call the "father of American strength training." Hayes combined heavy breathing squats with high-quality protein nutrition and confirmed the effectiveness of the exercise.
Let's analyze one more technique. It was used by a well-known American coach, the founder of the contest "Mr. Olympia" - Joe Vader. In Vader's squats, the number of respiratory cycles between sets gradually increases.
First, pick up the weight of the bar, which allows you to do 25 repetitions (approximately 65–70% of the maximum). The training scheme looks like this:
- 5 squats - after each 1 inhale and exhale;
- 5 squats - after each 2 inhalations and exhalations;
- 5 squats - after each 3 inhalations and exhalations;
- 5 squats - after each 4 inhalations and exhalations;
- 5 squats - after each of 5 breaths.
The number of approaches is determined individually, but not less than 3-4 per lesson. Like Straussen squats, exercise is used to chest and increase muscle mass throughout the body.
Whichever embodiment you choose, follow the technique of the squats themselves: create a deflection in the lower back, keep the shoulder blades flattened, do not lean forward, be sure to hold your breath.
If you have back problems, we recommend that you do breathing squats with kettlebells or dumbbells after consulting your doctor first.
The element is used to develop the pectoral muscles and the broadest muscles of the back. But, thanks to the mechanics of movement, pullovers also help to stretch the cartilage tissue connecting the ribs and sternum. Consider the technique:
- Choose the weight of the dumbbell at which you will do 20–25 reps (beginners can start with 8–10 kg).
- Lie along the bench so that the crown of your head is at the edge of the seat.
- Place your feet firmly on the floor.
- Hold the bar of the dumbbell between the palms and lift the projectile above the forehead.
- Gathering air into your lungs, gently lift the dumbbell behind your head.
- Having brought the shell to the bench level, stop and exhale, return it to its original position.
The technique allows a slight bend in the elbow joints. The sternum should be tense during the approach, but the abdominal section should be relaxed as much as possible.
Some athletes (such as Arnold Schwarzenegger) used visualization in pullovers. To do this, they closed their eyes and each time with the abduction of their hands they imagined how the chest cage expands greatly due to inhalation of air. If you want a breast like Iron Arnie - visualize!
To expand the chest, you can perform lifts on the bar and bench presses. And in order to enhance the effect created by the main elements, we recommend using the Raider traction. Exercise allows you to stretch the sternum at an unusual angle:
- Stand a meter away from the wall, bend over and press your hands above the head to the surface of the palm of your hand (fully extend your arms).
- Bend your back down, feel a strong stretch of the chest.
- Relax your abs.
- Stay like this for 1 minute.
The exercise should be 3-4 sets. While holding the rack, you can periodically swing the case down to increase the payload.
The plan is designed for accentuated stretching the sternum. We recommend combining breathing squats in one superset with a pullover. So the effectiveness of both exercises will increase.
- Warm-up: squats without weights - 2 sets.
- Superset: Joe Vader squats (25) + pullover (25) - 5 sets.
- Wide pull - ups - 4x12.
- Bench press with a wide grip - 4x12.
- Raider thrust - 3 sets of 1 minute each.
Exercise according to the presented plan 3-4 times a week.
The program is designed for cyclical execution: we train for 4 weeks, rest for a month, train for 6 weeks, relax for a month, train for 8 weeks.
After completion, we recommend taking breast measurements. If the results do not suit you, slightly add the weight of the shells and repeat the entire cycle.
What affects the results
Expansion of the chest is a complex and long process. The productivity of classes depends on several important points.
The most significant is genetics (body type, hormonal background, structural features of the sternum, etc.). The higher the athlete's predisposition to growth, the easier it will be for him to increase the girth of the torso.
Athlete's menu and recovery strongly influence the results. . It is necessary that the diet be balanced, contain all the nutrients (proteins, fats, carbohydrates). Rest plays no less role than load. During rest, the body restores damaged tissues and creates new cells. Therefore, we recommend getting enough sleep.
The correct exercise technique must be followed. . The weight of the shells in stretching training is not as important as the feeling of "fullness" of the chest from exertion. Your task is not to build muscle, but to create strong tension on the cartilage cuffs. We recommend that each element focus on the middle of the chest.
Well and most importantly - age parameters . An athlete who is from 20 to 25 years old, with the correct use of the considered exercises, can achieve a 4–5 cm breast augmentation. In young people under 20 years old, due to open areas of bone growth and increased hormonal levels, the results will be better.