Modern physiologists increasingly attribute magnesium to metals that are priority for the human body. Magnesium performs many functions in our body, but its most important purpose is to ensure the correct cycle of "relaxation-compression" of muscle and nerve fibers. The luminaries of medicine claim that a constant lack of magnesium is a direct path to heart attacks and spasms of other muscles. In addition, this chemical element is washed out of the human body under the influence of many factors. Is magnesium important for human life? What category of people need to pay close attention to this element?
The role of magnesium for the human body
On the "shoulders" of magnesium lies the following functions:
- Ensuring the proper functioning of all types of muscle fibers of the human body, c. t. heart, stomach, intestines.
- Participation in the structure of bone tissue.
- Prevention of salt deposits in internal organs.
- Participation in the proper transmission of nerve impulses.
- Antitoxic effect.
- Participation in metabolism: protein synthesis, the absorption of vitamins and other minerals, the breakdown of carbohydrates.
- Normalization of pressure.
- Participation in the regulation of blood sugar.
- Quick recovery.
Magnesium deficiency in the body - causes and symptoms
Magnesium deficiency today is one of the most common types of mineral deficiency. Symptoms of hypomagnesemia are as follows:
- violation of the digestive system (loss of appetite, constipation, nausea, vomiting);
- disorders of the nervous system (irritability, loss of strength, drowsiness);
- the occurrence of diseases of the cardiovascular system (arrhythmia, hypertension, angina pectoris, etc.);
- immunodeficiency conditions that increase the risk of developing pathologies, including cancerous tumors;
- malfunctioning hormone synthesis in the adrenal glands;
- the appearance of kidney stones and gall bladder;
- violation of carbohydrate metabolism, as a result of the development of diabetes;
- the occurrence of migraines.
The causes of a lack of magnesium in the body include:
- insufficient intake of an element into the body along with food;
- violation of magnesium metabolism within the body;
- failure of the pancreas to produce insulin;
- poor absorption of magnesium from a diet excessively saturated with fats, calcium, phosphates, caffeine;
- poor absorption of magnesium from the intestine due to its diseases;
- excess cholesterol;
- long-term use of medications (antibiotics, antitumor and birth control drugs, etc.);
- increased consumption of magnesium during a period of intensive growth, recovery from illness (especially heavy metal poisoning), and alcohol intake.
Excess magnesium in the body - causes and symptoms
An excess of magnesium in the body (hypermagnesemia) is rarely recorded by doctors, because magnesium is perfectly excreted from the body and is not toxic.
Possible causes of hypermagnesemia:
- renal failure;
- disorders of magnesium metabolism;
- uncontrolled use of magnesium-containing drugs.
Symptoms of excess magnesium in the body are as follows:
- impaired coordination of movements;
- muscle tremors and cramps;
- myocardial malfunction;
- violation of the digestive system ("thin" stool, diarrhea);
- fragility of hair and nails.
The role of magnesium for the athlete
Magnesium, as not one other metal of the body, deserves the name "sports", because it is designed to maintain the health of the cardiovascular, muscular, and nervous systems. It regulates sugar levels, providing the body with energy in a timely manner. It is to him that bodybuilders trust the care of muscle gain, because it stimulates the body to synthesize proteins. He restores his strength after intensive training.
In addition, athletes need it more than ordinary inhabitants because magnesium:
- excreted from the body with sweat during physical exertion;
- actively consumed under the influence of adrenaline;
- it is worse absorbed from foods with a high-protein diet.
Not so long ago, American scientists conducted a major study, during which some bodybuilders took dietary supplements enriched with magnesium, and athletes of another group did not take such supplements. Conclusions showed that strength indicators and weight gain for athletes of the first group significantly exceeded the results of athletes from the second group.
Recommended Doses of Magnesium
The minimum recommended doses of magnesium for women are 300 mg per day, for men 400 mg. These consumption rates are indicative and require correction during the period of active consumption of the element: during intense adolescence, during stress, and rehabilitation after illness. Elevated dosages will be determined by the doctor. Due to the specifics of lifestyle, athletes who are actively consuming magnesium should consume at least 400 mg per day, and bodybuilders should consume at least 500 mg during muscle gain.
Products containing magnesium
Record holders for magnesium are cocoa beans, wheat bran, pumpkin, sunflower and poppy seeds. A lot of magnesium in nuts, especially cashews, and legumes (here the absolute leader is lentils). Grains and many varieties of hard cheeses are rich in magnesium. Be sure to include seaweed, dried fruits, greens in the diet - they will also generously share a valuable element.
Vitamins with Magnesium
The choice of dietary supplements, single and multicomponent magnesium-containing complexes is huge today. Of the supplements containing magnesium today are popular: Magne B 6 , Magnilis B6, Magnistad, Magnesium plus B6, Magnnerot, Magnesium Caps, Magnesium Complex, Magnesium Malate.
Complexes including calcium and magnesium are also in demand, these are: Doppelgerz Asset Magnesium + Calcium, Cal Apatite with Magnesium, Calcium Magnesium.
Combined sports vitamin and mineral complexes with a high content of magnesium are produced by Universal Nutrition, Gaspari Nutrition, NOW, Weider. Many of these manufacturers also produce magnesium-fortified sports nutrition.
A person who builds a beautiful, strong, healthy body with intense training needs magnesium. Carefully review your diet, consult a specialist - if necessary, select your magnesium-containing drug. Good luck