The basis of women's fitness programs for the development of the gluteal muscles, as a rule, is the power "base" - squats, lunges, leg presses in the simulator. To pump up the beautiful rounded shape of the buttocks, you need to combine basic loads with isolated exercises. One of these elements - the "fire hydrant" (taking the legs to the side from a position on all fours) will be discussed.
"Hydrant" has an accentuated effect on the gluteus muscles, namely on its middle bundle. Indirect load is obtained by the major and minor gluteal muscles.
In addition, the exercise, thanks to the lateral leads of the legs, helps to tighten the inner surface of the thighs. For the stabilization of the body in the "on all fours" position, the press, deltas and muscles of the hands are responsible, which helps their overall strengthening.
Technique, recommendations, contraindications
Exercise fire hydrant is suitable for beginner athletes. The classical method of execution does not involve the use of fitness equipment, so the element can be used in independent home training:
- Get down on all fours. The palms are located strictly under the shoulder joints, and the knees under the hips.
- Tighten your abs and straighten your back.
- Exhale and perform lateral abduction of the leg to the side.
- Keep your knee at a right angle when lifting.
- Try to reach the hip parallel with the floor.
- In the upper position, freeze for 1-2 seconds, and then inhale the lower limb.
- Perform the negative phase (lowering) more slowly than the positive (rising) phase. This will help to work out muscles better.
- When moving the bent leg to the side, make sure that the body remains motionless, avoid swaying and bending.
- At the bottom point, do not put the knee of the working leg on the floor. This will help to keep the payload in the buttocks until the end of the set.
- At the initial stage, when the mobility of the hip joints is low, do not try, to the detriment of the technique, to raise the thigh to parallel with the floor.
- Keep your arms straight for a set. Try not to bend your elbow joints, as this will reduce the effectiveness of the element.
Recommended training volume: 3-4 approaches of 20-25 assignments in each direction.
Contraindications to the "fire hydrant" are:
- injuries to the hip, knee or shoulder joints;
- late pregnancy;
- sprain of muscles and ligaments of the inner thigh.
Consider alternative options for performing the hydrant exercise.
Hydrant with a straight leg
- Stand on all fours, straighten your back.
- Stretch one leg to the side, lower the toe to the floor.
- Exhale and, without bending the knee, raise the limb to parallel with the surface.
- Hold in this position for 1-2 seconds, then with a breath, gently lower your leg.
- At the bottom, try not to put your foot on the floor. This will allow you to better load the target muscles.
Exercise can be complicated by putting soft sand weights on your ankles.
- To perform, you need a rubber expander loop.
- Fasten the shock absorber over the knee bends and stand on all fours.
- Lift your thigh to the side as high as possible and hold for 10-15 seconds (or longer).
- Repeat 10 times, then switch sides.
Instead of the expander, it is allowed to use soft weights attached to the ankles.
Hydrant with leg extension
- Get down to the starting position "on all fours."
- Straighten your back and arms.
- Kneeling, exhale and gently lift the thigh to the side.
- Having reached the top point, straighten your leg and hold for a second.
- Then bend the limb and with a breath return to the initial position, but do not put your knee on the floor.
The element can also be complicated by using sand weights worn on the shins.
Hydrant with expander
To perform, you need an elastic expander loop. Technics:
- Fix the shock absorber over the knee bends and lower yourself to all fours.
- Exhale and hold the leg at an angle of 90 °, take the thigh to the side.
- Freeze for a second in the upper position, then inhale the lower limb, but do not put it on the floor.
Instead of an expander, you can use a crossover. To do this, stand on all fours next to the lower block, fasten the cable to the hip with a soft cuff and perform lateral leads.
"Fire hydrant" must be combined with other effective elements for the development of gluteal muscles. We offer an example of a female fitness program with an emphasis on the lower body:
- Warm up: walking in an ellipsoid : 12-15 minutes.
- Squats in Smith's simulator : 4x20.
- Cross lunges with weights: 3-4–12–15.
- Plie squats with dumbbells : 3-4x4-12-15.
- “Fire hydrant”: 3-4x420.
- Swing backwards in the crossover : 3-4x4-15-20.
- Planck : 3 sets of 30 seconds.
The program goes first basic elements, then isolated. This method allows you to work out the gluteal muscles qualitatively. If you need to burn subcutaneous fat, we recommend that, in addition to the presented program, hourly cardiosessions 2-3 times a week.
We list the exercises for the buttocks, which are similar in effect to the "fire hydrant":
- breeding of the knees lying on its side (with an expander);
- swings to the side standing;
- spider bar;
- wide squats;
- gluteal bridge ;
- side lunges;
- walking in the stepper;
- legs apart in a "sitting" simulator;
- Romanian craving.
They work well on gluteal muscles plyometric exercises:
- jumping on a plio box;
- jumping over barriers;
- work with a skipping rope.